Old Photo - Posing With The Family Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Posing With The Family Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Canadian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Looks like they had a cross-dresser in the family !

"Eldest son Jimmy always felt the need to feel 'pretty'" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

The little girl is giving the camera man the bird!

Strange Family!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Looks like her pet hairless hammerhead bleen has taken a likin' to Ma's knee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

is this a Canadian ford?? bottom windshield tilts . charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Charley,

Yes, as Larry Smith commented above it is a Canadian production Ford (ok, assuming the parts have not been swapped around with a USA car and that accessory parts have not been purchased to add to a USA car).

Items that specifically point to a Canadian T are:

1. The two oval windows in the rear of the one man top. Introduced when the one-man top was introduced. I believe that was introduced and was first offered during the 1920 model year. Ref: Jan 1st, 1925 Edition of the Ford Price List of Parts and Accessories for Owners, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited. On page 50 they have the rear curtain with the oval windows listed for 1920-1924 (note none of the parts are listed for 1925 in this price list).

2. That both the top and lower panes of the slant windshield tilt, is another characteristic of the 1920 -1925 Canadian Fords. Ref pages 47-49 same Canadian Price List of Parts.

3. The top bow clamp rather than a strap holding the top bows to the top rest is characteristic of the Canadian cars from 1919 to 192?.

4. Note on the one-man top that the short bow attached to the rear most bow is almost vertical. the USA Tops had that bow leaning more towards the front of the car.

5. I am cranking up my old computer so I can look at the photo more carefully. The new computer probably can do it also - but I haven't learned where those features are located.... But I suspect the car has 5 piece rear tub. We can clearly see the bead following just above the rear fender. And that bead stops a little past half way beyond the to of the rear fender. I suspect where that bead stops I will be able to see a vertical seam or bead where the 5 piece rear tub has a seam. The USA cars discontinued that seam with the 1921 model year cars (some could have been produced during the 1921 model year depending on the reference). But by the fall of 1922 when the USA introduced the 1923 slant windshield, one man top, with low cowl Model Ts – they had been using the 3 piece rear tub for at least one and ˝ maybe 2 years.

6. Only a Canadian touring would have all of those items.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

oops i missed it. how did i do that? i think its called old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Charley,

It is easy for any of us to miss things -- but having others look at it often helps.

Zooming in and adjusting the contrast, I believe there is a vertical seam at the end of bead that follows the rear fender. Not as clear as I wish, but please see the zoomed in photo below:

Compare that to a 1921 Canadian that shows the 5 piece rear seat tub, note the bead around the fender stops and there is a vertical seam where the side panel meets the curved side panel that meets the back body panel.

Photo courtesy Kevin “Bill” Mowle from his article in the Sep-Oct 1988 “Vintage Ford” used by permission to promote our club and hobby. (Thanks Bill!) Car is listed as a 1921 Canadian Touring.

Note also that the car in the original photo as well as the 1921 Canadian Touring from Bill’s article both have the “Oval cross section” top bows rather than the “rectangular top bows” that the USA cars introduced around 1918 and continued into 1927.

So yes, clearly a Canadian car as long as parts have not been swapped out and mounted on a USA produced car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration