Grease question, rear end wheel bearings and U-Joint.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Grease question, rear end wheel bearings and U-Joint.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:22 am:

OK, technically this is not a "what oil to use" question. :-) :-) I have just rebuilt the rear end in my 27 touring. All that's left to do is put in the outer wheel bearings and grease the u-joint housing. So my question is. Is the red wheel bearing grease,(high temp, high pressure)stuff sold at Wal Mart and other places OK for the outer hyatt bearings or the brass front driveshaft bushing. I would think it would be better than the "general purpose" grease that is also available. but I do not remember reading anything about the "additivies" having any affect on the brass bushings. I have used the red stuff before, with no problems. But this rear end is going in the "tour car" and is going to be subject to high miles and long trips,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:03 am:

The high temp black grease is molybdenum laced for use with disc brakes. You want either plain brown grease or red grease. Either of those mix well with petroleum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Thanks Royce. I have always wondered what the difference was for the disc brakes. I knew they always state on the can "for disc brakes" The brown and the red is what I usually have on hand in the shop... But with the red also being labeled high temp/high pressure, I just think it should be better than the brown grease, if it does not hurt the brass bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

The red "synthetic" greases are made entirely from petroleum base elements, as are the brown greases. The black grease is not entirely petroleum, so it may not be a good thing to have floating around in your axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

I have used both but i like working with the red grease the best. Just my opinion! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

OK, So I guess Ill stay with the red stuff ... Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

It's easier to fill the U-joint housing with grease before the axle is installed. Filling it with the grease cup would take quite a lot of cups..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Thread the grease cup with an 1/8" pipe tap, install a zerk and use a grease gun. Less fuss and mess and nobody knows it is in there except you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration