One headlight is dim?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: One headlight is dim?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:39 am:

One headlight is bright, the other dim, like barely glows orange. What could it be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:42 am:

I assume that you have already tried changing the bulb on that side?

If changing the bulb has no effect, the the cause is most likely a bad ground on the dim side. Run a short jumper wire from the light socket to a nearby screw or bolt to provide a better ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:55 am:

That's good advice Ignacio. I've taken the plug, spring, screw and bulb out of the offending light and "roto-rooter" the socket housing with a wire brush in a dremel tool. That just has the same effect as obtaining a better ground.
BTW, the left rear 'T handle' door latch on your touring car is unique. Wonder what the origins of it is? Non Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Also, make sure the "dim" bulb isn't a 12 volt bulb in a 6 volt system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Yep, it was the ground. For some reason my headlight 'stalk' bolted to the frame is not grounded enough. It does have a wire inside soldered to the bucket and to the socket but still is not enough. I put a jumper from the stalk to the radiator bolt and it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Many times, paint on the mating surfaces of the arm and the frame prevent a good ground contact. I try to make sure the mating surfaces of each are bare metal.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration