Tool box dimensions for a 26 roadster?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tool box dimensions for a 26 roadster?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Does anyone have the dimensions (length, width and depth) and flange height for the lid ?

I would like to make one out of metal for my running board.

Any pictures would be helpful too.

Thank you,
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

I believe they were after market items and were made in various sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Here's a picture of mine, it was on the car when I got it. It is 22 inches long, 9 inches wide, and 6.5 inches tall. The flange height for the lid is 1.5 inches. There are no maker's markings on it.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Other then the tool roll Ford never supplied a tool box, including (the more modern) ones with Ford stamped in the lid. If you are making one, the width of the running board, how ever high you like and same with the length. Remember how ever wide and tall you make it, the lid should be able to stay open with out falling on your hand when you reach in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Dave, I had an old box with extensive repairs to the bottom and sides, but a near perfect lid. I had a sheet metal shop fold and roll a new side sheet and made this high enough to hold a standard T battery. Then the folded sheet was bent to suit the lid and I had a custom made box which looks just like an original. All of this was needed because I could not source an original running board battery box for my roadster.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Gary and Mark are correct. Ford never sold toolboxes with Model T's. They're all aftermarket, and they come in many sizes. The going rate is $40 - $60, but I bought one at Chickasha for $5 and another at an auction for $7. Be patient and look carefully.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration