OT Harley, 1912 photo, 1920 letter and envelope

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Harley, 1912 photo, 1920 letter and envelope
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

A friend kindly lent me these items to share. They represent the T era and may be fun to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Very neat. Thanks, Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Now THAT'S a motorcycle! Sweet!
Thanks Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:06 am:

I find it interesting that Harley-Davidson started with a belt final drive, switched to a chain drive for decades, then recognized that belt drive was better and returned to their original design. American auto manufacturers did the same thing with wheels and tires; first they had large-diameter wheels with small tires, then gradually went to smaller and smaller wheels until they got to 13" diameter with big tires, now they are going to larger and larger-diameter wheels with small tires. Whooda thunk it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 02:33 am:

John, early belt drives were never as strong as chain drives developed later. The change was one of serviceability/durability. The return to quieter, cleaner, easier maintenance belt drives is a result of different technology and materials which can handle the power of new engines. Just like belt drive camshafts on cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 03:17 am:

In saying that Allan, I can remember when Fiat, Alfa's and even ford cortina cam belts seen the life of the engine, but by today's standards the modern car requires replacing as low 80K and big dollars to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

The main reason timing belts are much stronger today than when the early ones came about, is Kevlar. The inclusion of Kevlar makes the present timing belts nearly indestructible.

Sooo, now that the new timing belts are far superior to older ones, the manufacturers are going back to timing chains, go figure?????

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

a Harley just like that one, only earlier I think. Did every mile of the Cannonball run this year ! very impressive - neat photo too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Now that's a Harley!! So cool. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

I'm glad they went back to chains, wish they'd go back to just gears. I went through a couple belts on a 92 Pontiac. It's a pain to change them. I bought an 04 Chevy Cavalier and thought I'd put on a new belt to be safe before it broke and was glad to find out it had a chain.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration