Any ideas what this this is?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Any ideas what this this is?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Found this gizmo this afternoon and have no idea what it is. Since there is some kind of wrench in it I was hoping it might have belonged to someone's tool set?? The wrench is about a 7/8". There is what I think is a part number on the end with all the little holes---"2901", It It measures about 8 1/2 inches long and about 5 3/4 inches at the widest point. All the holes are too small for my fingers to use as brass knuks. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

John,
It is called a comb. It mounts on the beam or tongue of a horse drawn plow. By hitching either high or low you change the draft of the plow,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

I think Kevin has it right. Never seen one with a built-in wrench though. I wonder if it is really intended to be a wrench or served some other purpose? The skinny handle with threads would be very uncomfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

John,
Rather than the remaining 981 words you get this,

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I've seen one of those wrenches before by itself and whoever had it told me you use that wrench to swap plow blades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Thanks Kevin. That makes sense. After I saw your reply I Googled "Comb for a horse drawn plow" and saw some similar pictures. The picture you posted here makes it clear as to how it's mounted. One of the pictures I saw had a wrench with it but wasn't fit in like this one. Well, now it's a good day when you learn something new. I'll bet my father-in-law would have known what it was because he plowed with that kind of set up, using a pair of mules, when he lived in East Texas. Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Knuckle buster for seven fingered people?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration