1913 - 1914 Front Fender Irons Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 - 1914 Front Fender Irons Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Evening all,

I have a query about the front fender irons on a 1913. I have Rodda's books, and I see there is a difference between the 13 and 14 years, being the 13 is rounded on the bottom, and the 14 is more V shaped. Does anyone know when the 14 design/style really came about, meaning exact date wise?

My 13 touring body is a late style 13 body with 14 door latches, and I am wondering if I should use the 13 style front fender irons, or the 14 style.

Anyone have a set of 13 front fender irons if it turns out I need that style?

Cheers,
Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

To have the '14 door latches you need '14 doors. What is the serial number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Its a 13 body, with 13 doors. I found the body separate (body, splash aprons, all 4 fenders, hood, hood latches, and the firewall/dash trim plate that goes on the bottom of the firewall, and the top irons with the original bows all came in the lot ! found last summer). I cant find a number on the body, it has some wood, and wood in the doors, but no numbers. I have found I'm not the only one with 14 style latches in my 13 doors. Its a Beaudette Body. The doors are made for the 13 style latches, but there is a filler block where the lever would be for the 13 style. And no slot in the top of the door garnish piece for the 13 style lever. Ill see if I can find some pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Royce: Here is a link to some pics I posted a few months back:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/648635.html?1465174641

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Hats off to you, Benjamin! That body is pretty crispy and I can't wait to see the "after" pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Thanks Bill. Probably be a year before I get the body work all finished. The body is actually pretty solid in the sheet metal, except for the bottom edges. It was screwed to a piece of plywood, and I think it was in great shape until someone stuck it outside in the Midwest winters for who knows how long before I got it. I even have a section of the original seat leather.
I'm working hard to find the right parts, and being as detailed as possible, extreme minutia! I'm using all original parts, so that's the tough part. Right down to the nuts and bolts.

The only thing I'm doing different is aluminum pistons, light rods, and an EE crank. I wish to not join the two piece crank club and break my 13 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Anyone have any idea on the change dates on the front fender irons?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration