Old Photo - Model T Era - Street Scene, Gibley, Iowa

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Street Scene, Gibley, Iowa
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland, Montrose, Iowa on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:11 am:

I believe the town is Sibley, IA. If you look at at "S" in St. you see they are the same. What I can't be sure of is why did the person date it 1818???? Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Can anyone tell the year of the coupe sitting front row left side of the picture? Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

The "1818" is not the date. It is a code. The Pearson postcard company in Minnesota used a four digit code. I have 300 of their original negatives. The code reads that this is the first set of negatives for 1918. The 8 after the one indicates it is the 8th negative of the first set. The last two digits indicate the year. At least that is how the Pearson Co. code reads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Tim,

If we had a better photo it would probably be possible. Assuming no parts used in dating have been swapped out we have:

Black radiator so 1917 model year or later

Does not appear to have side lamps and is a closed car so 1919 or later (ref:http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1919.htm that says: The 1919 model year began in January 1919 with the introduction of the electrical equipment as standard in the closed cars. Note why not a 1918 with an optional starter? Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc18.htm That has:

DEC 11, 1918 Ford Archives
First starter-type engine made, #2,815,891.

and

DEC 21 Acc. 78, Ford Archives
Announcement of starters for closed cars on or about January 15, 1919, at $75.

Door handle is on the front of the door so suicide door style coupe last produced in USA during the 1923 model year. Was replaced with the 1924 coupe with the doors that had the hinges at the front and handle at the back during Aug 1923 (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm )

From the above it is clear that it would have been a 1920-1923 Coupe.

"IF" we could see the door handles better -- they could be added to further refine the dates as follows:

Door handles are listed at 9058 (black) 1915-

9058B (nickel) 1919-1920, (Hap adds - bale style)

9058C (T handle) in 1921

9058D (L handle) in 1922-23.

Ref page 293 Bruce McCalley "Model T Ford" describing the door handles for the Centerdoors. I extrapolated that information to the Coupes. If anyone has some confirmation that is a good extrapolation or I missed it by a country mile, please let us know.

Looking at the photo, I cannot make out the style of the door handle. Note -- it looks wider than a "T" or "L" handle -- but sometimes the nickle handle would reflect in the new paint. In that case I don't think you would know what it was in the blur that is shown. I.e. you wouldn't know if it was the bale handle or the reflection of the "T" or "L" handle.

If anyone can obtain a Shorpy quality image -- there is a good chance we can tell if it is a bail or other handle.

I hope that helps you some.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

there used to be a good junk yard in sibley. like all my other favorite yards, the old guy died and the family crushed it all for one big check

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Hap, thanks for the information. I am going to own one of the earlier T s and i love the old coupes. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration