New (to me) hand crank tester

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New (to me) hand crank tester
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Hello folks, I have been given this HCT for restoration. (it will compliment my strobo spark and hand made tester using an oscilloscope to measure ramp fire time). I would like to know a little more about it such as manufacturer (Allen, Ford etc?) and pictures of original condition or restorations of this model. Thanks in advance . John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Trying once more time before I give up to post a photo :-) ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Sorry I'm having trouble seeing the big E at the top of the chart! :-)

A few more pixels per photo would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Better! Nice unit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I believe yours is made by Service Equipment Co. I may be wrong, but I think yours is the very first design. You need to fit a wooden box inside to test the coils. Beautiful looking unit. Contact Ron Patterson for further information. Ron has had more of them than anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Should say Hand Crank Coil Tester! When I saw the title, I thought it was some equipment to test your hand crank on the front of the Model T! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

I restored on of those that had 4 stand-off bolts for the spark coil ring. Finding a set of the insulators for those bolts was a real problem.

Finally I found a guy to make a set out of Delron.

Insulators

Then another problem was getting the sparks to hop from the coil box terminal to the coil ring.

Everything was so close that the spark preferred to find other paths.

The unit performed properly, after a great deal of wasted time.

HCCT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

One more correction solved the problem.

The original spark ring was replaced with an Allen spark ring.

Here is the original spark ring photo.

SSECO1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

If you contact me I can help out with a wiring diagram for a HCCT.
This type of HCCT is what I call a "Ford Clone" made by many manufacturers based on the original design introduced by Ford and sold via the Branch plant supply chain. Soon thereafter Ford turned the manufacture over to Fairbanks Morse in New York. Everyone started to make and sell then in a very similar manner with some minor non functional differences.
As a practical matter they are all functional equivalents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Ron, you wouldn't know the Ford Factory numbers for the HCCT, would you? The special HCCT parts, not the standard magneto and flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Tom
The top level assembly drawing for the Ford HCCT is 18-Z-245. There is a suffix part # for all the main parts. I.E. frame, crank handle, spark ring and mainshaft/flang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

This thread from last year shows quite a few different models:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/521874.html?1425180174

Your tester appears to be identical to the one that I keep on my desk in my office. It's a Service Station Electric, restored by Wally Szumowski. I bought it from him about ten years ago and gave it to my father. When my father died, I bought it from his estate. It's got more sentimental value than cash value to me now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:11 am:

Thank you everyone for your input to this, all very useful indeed. Ron P, I would really welcome wiring diagram for the HCCT and I have sent you a PM with my email address, I am in the UK. I will trace the wiring out on this HCCT but its been messed with over the years and clearly wrong. Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Ron Patterson was a great help to me for every one of the 8 HCCTs that I restored and a good source of parts!

Thank you again Ron!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration