Recharging magnets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Recharging magnets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I recall seeing a video that showed recharging the magnets using the coil assembly placed directly over the magnets and a battery charger current applied. I can't find the video and was hoping someone could help. Everything is out of the car and the parts are on the bench so I thought that now would be the best time to try recharging them. Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTv8JNz_Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzQJLGtJV9o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

My son and I are doing ours tomorrow while still in the car. We have read what there is to read on the method. But, little actual experience with someone using a 12v battery charger set to 100 amps in lieu of three 12v car battereies connected in series.
Unless otherwise instructed, we are going to give the battery charger method a try. We have less than 1v coming out of the magneto post right now, so feel we have nothing to lose by trying to zap the magnets while still in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:08 am:

Thanks Mark, that's the one I remember. Just not sure how he determines the polarity on the individual coils so he can match them up with the magnets on the flywheel. Thanks again : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:07 am:

three 12 volt batteries work well, have done this several times. Coil will heat up fast so touch the leads only for a couple seconds. I would usually rotate and zap again at 1/4 turn intervals. The 24 I had is still running strong after about 8 years. If engine is torn down though you should dissemble the magnets and check all for cracks by giving a SHARP rap on an anvil or something, I have never torn down one that didn't have at least one broken magnet, now is the time to find out. Good luck and have fun!. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:09 am:

A couple seconds is too long. Just flash the contact as briefly as possible. A couple seconds is long enough to start melting solder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Cold and rainy here in Atlanta, so don't know if we'll get to it this afternoon. But we'll try the 100 amp charger first and get some volt readings and then, if we have to and it sounds like we will, try the three 12v battereies in series and repeat the process and record the difference in voltage coming out of the mag.

From what I've seen and read, yes a short zap, even if repeated is better than holding the cables on for a few seconds.

And, of course, this engine never ran on mag, so we don't know if we have other issues that zapping magnets will not correct and all may be for naught.

Fingers crossed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Where does one find a gauss meter as used in that video?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Royce is right. It's the sudden surge of magnetic flux that pulls the molecules into alignment, holding the power on for more time doesn't increase the effect.

So several quick flashes have more effect than one long burst.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Click or go to http://gravitastech.weebly.com/spin-doctor.html for a very reliable Gaussmeter for under $100.

I tried to determine the Gauss required to hold a Model T piston on a V magnet and decided it was around 300 Gauss, but there are too many variable for a solid answer.

Primarily the surface smoothness of the piston top and the magnet ends determine the exact number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

I don't consider a couple seconds a long burst at my age! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

It doesn't take much to confuse me these days so I'm wondering what the better choice is: 12 volts at 300 amps as in the video, or 36 volts from three 12 volt batteries in series providing infinite amps?? Maybe both methods will work. Thanks : Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration