How would you fix this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How would you fix this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Have some rust that is paper thin around these two holes. Would really like it solid and reliable.

Rust holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Weld it and lead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

You can take the inside down to bare metal then back it up with fiberglass cloth and polyester resin. Clean the rust off the outside and apply bondo.

You could also take a piece of of oak and shape it to match the contour of the panel. Next hammer form a sheetmetal patch to match using your wood form. Cut out the rusted area and weld in your patch panel with your wire welder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Usually places like that are the tip-of-the-iceberg. Give it a good look on the inside and see how far the rust extends. If it were mine, I'd do surgery on it. Cut out the rusted metal. Then make a patch panel and weld it in.

I've seen guys try to just patch over the holes. Then after painting it, it rusts through somewhere else or new holes appear. Do it right the first time and you won't end up tearing out the upholstery and wood to get to it the next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Was thinking of casting a bondo form over the outside covered with a release ... and then use that to pound a steel patch to the contour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Just say "no" to fiberglass and/or bondo. That's on par with
MaryAnn not wanting to date you, so you ask her brother !

What Rick said. Fix it right the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Anyone out there with a solid donor patch for this area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Form a new steel patch that overlaps the perimeter area, get a thin cutting wheel x/64th inch then cut and stitch MIG weld the new steel in. Go back over it solid, grind it smooth. Not too hard to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I don't see that you say what year the car is.
I think it is older that 26-27.
Here is an ebay sale for 26-27 patch panels.
Perhaps you can contact the seller and see if they have the ones you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-1927-Model-T-Roadster-Rear-Quarter-Patch-Panels-/26 2685108711?hash=item3d2940a9e7:g:fEoAAOSwwbdWLkqT&vxp=mtr

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Ignacio ... sure wish you were a neighbor. Welding is not one of my skill sets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Bondo does not fix holes, it is used to level body work. That is way too nice of a car to take a sort cut and have it crack a paint job that will cost $$$$. Any piece of sheet metal (steel shelving works well) hammered into a close shape with a ball peen hammer and welded in then skim coated with body filler will be much better than filling the hole with something flexible.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Mark, I like your idea to build a form. Or if the patch panels look good? If you can get the forming and and fit like suggested, you should be able to find a welder with a portable rig stitch it up for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Skip a few trips out for dinner and invest in a Lincoln 120 volt wire welder. It won't take much practice and you can be a decent wire welder. If you use oak for your form you can use the form to help shape your metal. A bondo form you could only use to check your contour, it has no structural strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I've been in the shop welding all day. Bring your car by and we'll get you squared away. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:07 am:

I used the top of a welding gas bottle to form the contour, it took a while, a lot of hammering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:17 am:

If you are repairing it opposed to "restoring" it
and you want it to look good, be solid, with least amount of work

clean it to metal, inside and out , attach new metal on the inside, (smaller pieces if you can't form it) this will be backing for application of a good filler,

very lightly hammer in (1/16 " at most) the area around the hole , this will keep fill level with original metal and you will keep the contour of the body

epoxy or weld the pices on the inside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:23 am:

They make patch panels for 1926's. I wonder why they don't make them for '22-25's?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration