My "new" 1923 Runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My "new" 1923 Runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

I brought home my new T three weeks ago and have been scrambling to get it apart before it gets too cold. My garage was built in 1919 and isn't heated. So, I'm taking the engine to a friends heated garage to break down and evaluate. I'll work on the chassis in my garage with the help of a gas heater.

Not sure how to post multiple images ... so will put them in separate posts. Here is is the day it was delivered to my house.

At home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

T in front of garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Interior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Engine removal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

What a great car. Great project T for the winter.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Without ngine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Hoisting body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Body in garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Mark ,I really like the photo of your T and garage . the one with the chain hoist hanging. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

I do have many others as I chronicle the work I'm doing. Am actually thinking of making a whole series of wet collodion tintypes of most of the pieces of the car as a body of work for exhibition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

I'm thinking the garage has that genuine Model T fragrance!
Perhaps you could capture some in a Mason jar...
Considering the folks who have the 'sandy beach' in a little clear jug...
Good for a grin I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

My last T was a 1919 ... the same year as both our house and garage. Someone must have had a T in there at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Great car Mark. What's your plan for it? Full restoration, or are you just going to give it a thorough inspection and repair/replace everything it needs to be a safe driver?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

That is a terrific car but the photos are just as nice. The homes and the garage interior sure have a look of days gone by. I'm pleased you have your new Roadster and live in that wonderful place.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

Why are you breaking this car down ? It has that perfect patina !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Wowee! Now that's what my Crappy '24 should look like!
I was gonna lip off that that "chain hoist/garage" pic has a Richard Eagle look to it but I just cannot since Richard posted just above. The "body in the rafters" pic is quite similar.
Like the Bemis of Battelborough pic from my old model A book. Good things all around.
Nice car Mark! Great pics and cool garage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 07:30 am:

This is a pretty nice survivor car. I am planning to go over all of the mechanicals and replace / fix worn elements. This will be a daily driver as was my old T. Also have to go over all the sheet metal where pieces connect and make sure they are solid to avoid further damage from use. Any loose rust will be removed and those areas preserved. Aside from that I am leaving all the original patina.

Where I must replace with new I'll look for pieces with a similar worn finish to match the rest. The hood must have been stored in a different location or it is not the original hood. But it's very thin and rusted 100%. So, I'm looking for a solid low hood with 98% original paint to match the rest of the body if anyone out there can help. Also need the bottom half of the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Thanks Steve. So you must keep uploading them on the same post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Yep. When you click Preview two or three of them will show up and the rest will be numbers as shown above. Click Preview again, and usually different ones will show and the ones that showed before will be numbers. But when you click Post this message all of them will show in your final post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:16 am:

That is an awesome car, and I know you are proud to have it. You shouldn't have a problem finding a low hood I hope. I love your car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Well, it was a car until a couple of days ago. Now it's a collection on vintage parts. :-)

Parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Love the curve from doing a panoramic shot in the garage. In real life that frame is as straight as an arrow. Most of the bearing surfaces so far have been in remarkably good condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration