Confusing Warford 'TT' advert

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Confusing Warford 'TT' advert
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 07:33 am:

On page 49 of the latest Vintage Ford (51/6) there is an advert -

If it's for the TT why do all three columns for HIGH Direct (Speed 5) show 3.63 which is the car rear axle ratio? Should there not be a 5.17 or 7.25 somewhere??
It appears that the three columns describe slightly different internal ratios. Compared to the 'Standard' set, the H1 has the same OD ratio but a slightly higher UD.
The TT has a higher OD ratio (0.77 vs 0.83) and an intermediate UD ratio. If my sums are correct, 0.77 means that a low-ratio (7.25) TT might achieve 30mph, and a high-ratio (5.17) TT will have OD gearing only slightly lower than a normal Model T car (24mph/1000rpm).
Useful, but why doesn't the advert show this?
Why are the columns headed '....Axle Ratio'
And what is the purpose of the H1 version? Is this a 'close-ratio' speedster box?
So many questions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Chris you are not the only one that has lots of questions on these ratios! I called Layne's about a year and a half ago and talked with a really nice young man but didn't get many questions answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

I think that in posting this I probably answered my own questions about what the various types do, but the advert - shall we say it could be improved?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration