111 years ago at Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 111 years ago at Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:58 am:

On this date 111 years ago, Joseph Galamb began his career at Ford Motor Company. This was his second job working in a drafting room after coming to America on October 6th 1903. His first drafting room position was at the Harris Automatic Press Co. in Niles Ohio.
Joe’s first address in 1906 was 101 East Adams, Detroit. He then moved to 19 Harper Ave. in 1907. His starting pay was $18.00 per week. By July 1906 he received his first pay increase to $85.00 per month.
Joe’s education in Budapest Hungary served him well in the automotive world. His daughter Gloria would speak of him continuously going to the basement work shop to tinker. Gloria told us about a machine he designed, and built to pluck the feathers off of the chickens for the cook / house keeper that he and his wife employed.
Attached is a page out of Joe's note book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Here is Joe's work record in his own handwriting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Interesting Bruce, thanks for posting that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:32 am:

I did catch one mistake I made, Joe received his pay raise on March 15, not July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

All my Grandparents were immigrants and I am amazed to see how many of them kept diaries and record books like that. You could have picked that book up from my Grandmothers desk drawer. She kept records of every penny in and every penny out as well as notes on events in their life. I have a old Kodak camera she bought in 1920 when they arrived in New York and in the margins of the instruction booklet she has rewritten the instruction in German so she would know how to operate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Sir if i remember right your grandfather also worked with Joe Galamb? Thank you for the look back which i hope is one of several!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Bud, Joe and my Grandfather came over on the boat together. They also shared a room at the boarding house when working at Ford. Here is one page from his little book of items bought in Hungarian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:00 am:

One of my old bosses got his start working for Westinghouse, as I see Galamb did as well in 1904/1905. I've always found it interesting that my old boss, and Joe Galamb, and many more folks referred to it as working for "the Westinghouse". Kind of similar to working for "Ford's". "I work at Ford's", "he works at Ford's", "looking for a job at Ford's". Heard those comments through most of my life, but that vernacular seems to have gone out of fashion in more recent times. I work for Schwartz Manufacturing. Sometimes, when I call certain vendors, I tell them, "this is Jerry at the Schwartz". They probably think I'm nuts, and I probably am, but I kind of like the old-time sound of it.

Bruce,

That notebook is a treasure. Many years ago in a northern MI antique shop, there was a machinist's tool box, totally intact with all the tools, as they sat the day the guy retired. In the box was a similar notebook, chronicling every day the fellow worked at General Motors. It went from the 40's through the 70's. A real time capsule. Wish I bought it...

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration