Old project comes out of storage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old project comes out of storage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Well today I had time to dig out an old project.
I was given this car years ago by an old friend for getting his other cars Model A's and AA ready each year for the Memorial Day parade. When he first got this car he called me to say he had gotten a Model T and flat bedded it to where I was working. When I first looked at it I said that is not a true Model T but Model T parts on some other unknown chassis. He said it will be in your driveway when you get home get it running for me so I can drive it in the parade. He drove this car each year for a few years until he got the A's and gave it to me. Here are some photos and when I can I will get it out for better photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Interesting mix of parts! The engine serial number and casting date are consistent with each other as a late 1913 calendar year block. It also has an earlier, "teacup" pan, but I don't see any "dips" in the removable pan cover, maybe a custom, flat cover?
Also, it has a right hand drive hogshead setup on it, hence the handbrake handle being on the right. What's up with the two handbrake handles?

Looking at your profile picture, it has a T front axle, but mounted on longitudinal semi-elliptical springs. Can't tell if it is a modified T frame, or some other make of frame. Can you show a pic of the rear axle area?

Maybe this is another T dressed up to look like an NRS?

(Message edited by cudaman on December 11, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

The second hand brake is for the external rear band brakes it has a wooden pickup bed and a full size seat that mounts on the bed sides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

The joys of getting old Mark!
The dips are there, either a lot of sealer around it or a bad attempt to weld it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Hard to tell, is the steering also on the right? It appears to have a '26-up coil box on the engine, but no magneto post, so it isn't getting ignition from the magneto.

Interesting car, please post more pics! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Car had a cross drive magneto when he first got it I put 27 coil box on it so I could get it running. Magneto and drive will be going back on as I put it back together Runs like a top Here is a photo of the back axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Here are some more photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Its obvious, a non T frame and springs. looks a bit spooky how the T front axle is ties to the front springs.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Was told by my friend the car came from New Haven Ct and was used
to take a group of guys to the Yale football games

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Here is a photo from the front before it went into storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Engine pan is typical 1913 teacup style. 1914 was the first year with no teacup. I can see dips in the pan inspection door.

Chassis is a mystery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

I think photos of that blue car were posted sometime during the past 16 years (that's a lot of help....). And there is a chance that someone ID'd the frame springs etc. back then?

I believe there is a way for google to look for similar images. It may take them a couple of days to add the photo that was posted in this thread. But then if someone knows who to use that "similar" photo search feature, they may be able to find the previous thread?

Several other cars have been re-engined with the T running engine and/or running gear. From memory, Model N #28 had a Model T engine and transmission when it was used in the movie that Bob Hope was in. And at least one "electric" car was converted to a T engine. (As well as one T converted to an electric car...)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:21 am:

I posted pictures years ago of this car and the radiator shell that came with it on AACA and another site and did not get much feed back here is a photo of the car in the Memorial Day parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Looks like a sorta kinda T. 1/3 T and the rest is not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Is that radiator steaming?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Well what ever it is it is a pretty neat vehicle. As the saying goes some people can fall into a bucket or barrel of you know what and come out smelling like a big bunch of Roses.
BE PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I have long given up on what it was and moved on to what it is.
It brings back memories of the old owner and his wife who have passed on and I miss very much
I have posted photos of the grill and badge for those who requested
I am very proud to own it will make it safe and enjoy it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration