Can I use this brush on the Head surfaces?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Can I use this brush on the Head surfaces?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

In the interest of cleaning things up, I picked up the wire brush pictured. Do I really need to clean all the carbon off the surfaces? It seems to be more "stain" than anything else. Nothing you can feel with a finger.

If the answer is yes, use the brush, do I need to stay away from the valves?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I know from personal experience that that type is not good for aluminum or bronze. I try to use the nylon cup brushes on delicate areas. That said I've never used either on a piston or valves.....yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

You can see how third generation Model T mechanic Royce Peterson cleaned the carbon from a deck and cylinder head here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696918.html?1480380602

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

That will not hurt the valves or anything on the top side, actually much easier on the metal than a ro loc disc. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

A few more options to consider. One is the Ro-Loc type - sort of a very heavy duty scouring pad. The other 2 are stainless steel braided by Milwaukee. They are marked as being specific for Aluminum and Stainless Steel Surfaces (my head is aluminum Z head).

That all said, I hadn't read carefully and noted James mentioned nylon cup brushes. Not sure if they would get the job done on my head or not, but certainly seem to be pretty safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:15 am:

No need to polish, discoloration is no problem. You just want to remove the crusty stuff. Stay away from the course wire wheels on high speed grinder tools. The wire cup on a drill like you shoed should be fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration