Circle Springs Alaska 1939-Photo out of time!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Circle Springs Alaska 1939-Photo out of time!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

The photo looks, by the clothing to be way earlier that 1939.
How is that possible? There were no authentic attire tours by then were there?
It is not possible that the cancel is wrong is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

The post card was sent many years after the photo was taken or the person who is selling it on eBay posted the back of the wrong card in the listing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-1939-Circle-Springs-AK-FLAG-AUTO-PARTY-Yukon-Koyuku k-Alaska-to-Dunsmuir-CA-/201739875507?hash=item2ef8a234b3:g:m3QAAOSwj85YRbqg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Hmmm, I seem to remember the Wilkins' name from when I was a kid (in Dunsmuir).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

The T looks like a '14 with magneto headlights and a firewall mounted acetylene driving light.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Right hand drive as well. Look closely at the right side windscreen, you can make out what life looks like a small person behind a steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

The drag link says left hand drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

The post card is 20 years before Alaska was a state but they all have an American flag. Must of fought long and hard to join the union.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Well, maybe that's what they were still driving in Alaska in 1939

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Probably an older photograph of the whole village turned out to celebrate Armistice Day- 1918.
Post cards don't have a expiration date!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

in the background you can see two lights on poles, suggesting they are in front of a bridge or a park entrance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

David Dewey: You mean you were from Dunsmuir? OMG, you may have known Harold and Robert Dugger, he worked for the R R. Boy it must have been fun driving the Model T in and around Dunsmuir and Mt. Shasta,and McCloud. The hills and dales.
So if and when you go north to Dunsmuir call me
949-1475, and I might spring for Lunch or coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

The stamp is the 1938-39 Presidential Series, One Cent. So the card was mailed then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Forty eight stars on the flags. Alaska was United States territory for many years before 1939 and the country had 48 states in 1939. The cars are all older than 1939, so I would think the picture was made at least in the 1920's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

"Seward's Folly", right Norm?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

It's interesting that you mention Alaska's status as a territory. It was a long time in coming. I don't recall the details, but there was political resistance to advancing Alaska's status. From purchase by the USA in 1867 it was:

1867-1884 Department of Alaska
1884-1912 District of Alaska
1912-1959 Territory of Alaska
1959-now State of Alaska

I'm not aware of any other states that were first a "Department" then a "District" before becoming a Territory, and ultimately a State. Anyone know of any?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Shooting from the hip, I believe most of the west was divided into military "departments" before territorial lines were drawn - that often didn't last very long - e.g., Idaho Territory, organized 1863 included present-day Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. That only lasted a year, before Montana was parted off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Bill,
Do you mean Harold and Roberta? I went to school with their daughter Margie, who ended up in the desk behind me in most classes (Dewey , Dugger--alphabetical) we were best friends all through High School and I sewed the rumble seat cushion on my model A on her Dad's sewing machine in their basement. We are still in touch, some; she lives just north of Red Bluff now.
Back then I didn't have a model T, just the Model A (which I still have) and I couldn't afford a good battery, so I put those hills to good use when it was time to start the car! :-) Oh the place we would go looking for cars an parts back then. I should write a book!
YES, I'll call you when we are going by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:51 am:

I agree that in 1939 it was an old picture. The ladies' attire says teens, not thirties. I'd say Armistice Day is a pretty good guess, but Fourth of July is better. I'd expect to see different garb along the Yukon in November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Steve,
I agree. Independence Day is a better fit with the clothes they are wearing. That and the lack of snow and a foot of gumbo on the road and cars! The fella on the left might be sporting a well-worn military uniform

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration