KC Warford support ideas . ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: KC Warford support ideas . ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Im at the stage of starting to finalize the speedster project chassis. I have what I think is a very good rebuilt 1925 engine. So I guess the speedster is going to be a 1925. I also acquired a nearly new KC Warford trans. I would prefer to use a 26-27 engine that has more support for the trans because of the two hogs head bolts, but probably not going to happen. So that leaves me with coming up with a support for the KC Warford. I also can not use one of the crank case arm supports that have the y brackets that hook over the frame rail. I have a set of "common sence" radius rods that bolt to the frame at the same point of the crankcase support y-brackets would need to attach. I just bought some kind of trans support from Model T Haven on e-bay, but have never seen, or used one of them before. It was fairly cheap so I took a chance. Ill post a couple photos of it. So any suggestions as to support ideas will be appreciated. No harder than I will drive the car, and the trans is fairly light. I probably could get by without a support. But if I can come up with a simple design, Ill use it. Thanks in advance ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Donnie google; mtfca; warford
There have been some postings on using a sling to support the Warford in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

I forgot the pictures. This looks like a good design. ??? Pictures are not real good as I got them off the e-bay auction ... and they were pretty small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Donnie, If I decide to use my Warford, I was thinking of using the crankcasr support arms, or make a support crossmember and use a late thirties Ford flathead rubber trans support for the insulator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Donnie, I used a second front crossmember for mine. I made a spring loaded support bolted to the back of the KC. The spring is adjustable to increse/decrease the load. I believe I had to space it 3/8" below the frame rail.

I posted photos at the time, around early 2013.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Allen, It sounds like the thing I bought in the photos above may be doing the same thing. I hope it fits :-) :-) Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

I like the idea of the spring. I used a rod on each side with a hook over the frame and threaded on one end connected to a support bracket under the Warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Here is a thought; if it's a cast iron type Warford and has the proper extension installed in the front. It needs to be well braced. Because it has a ball joint at each end, it needs to be prevented from rotating between the two joints. When power is applied to the input shaft it would want to swing in one direction or the other as the cluster gears take up the load. I am thinking that the brace needs to do more then hold it up it needs to prevent it from swinging too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Mark. It is a new KC Warford. Aluminum case, no front extension. It bolts directly to the back of engine/trans. I do not know what it weighs, but it is very light compared to a cast iron Warford. Probably does not even need a brace, but now is the time to address it if I do add some sort of spring loaded help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Good point and I even read the title!
Still a valid point about the rotating for anyone reading this and installing an original CI unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

My aluminum KC Warford was installed without a brace. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Never heard anyone else mention it, but on my car the front running board brace rod was supporting my CI Warford. The rod ran beneath the transmission case, just behind the drain plug.

I had a cross brace on my car, but no springs or anything tying it to the frame. Aways worried that the trans was fully cantilevered off the back of the pan, but that wasn't the case. I had to loosen the nuts on the brace rod to take the weight off when I removed the Warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Pat, I believe that the KC Warford manufacture even says that a support is not needed. Im not sure of that, but I think I read it somewhere. I am mostly interested in peoples thoughts and experiences with braces. And todays driving is no where as hard on a car as it was back then, other than the higher RPMs. Even though it is going in a speedster, I probably will not feel comfortable above 50 mph in a model T. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Well Donnie I've had my roadster up to 59.6 mph and my Tudor to 57 mph. That was just a speed check but they were both very smooth, no vibration. The Warford kept the RPMs down on the Tudor, it was just purring. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Unless you plan to drive off-road, adding a support for the light KC is like storing guns and ammo for an alien invasion...a waste of money and energy. Instead put the money towards a new crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

If you Z the frame or change the spring mount you will lessen the load.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration