Old Photo - Interior view of Pep Boys auto parts store. 1940s.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Interior view of Pep Boys auto parts store. 1940s.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

In those days you could go right in and buy a rebuilt or new carburetor. You could buy new coils, points, spark plugs, and tires, transmission band material, and light bulbs. You could even buy a rebuilt engine. It was called a "short block". Those were the days, my friend.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

The days of stores with wood floors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

i never really thought about it until Steve's comment, but stores don't have wood floors. Our grocery store in Brownsboro has them, plus the tin on the ceiling. I never think about it because I go in there every day, but I can't think of another. I can think of some with plywood (paint store I think) but not 1 by 4's. Until around 2000 you could still get your weight for a penny. All the other old stores in town got replaced with Sonic, Exxon station and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

What a difference from today's stores.

My kitchen has wood floors that we don't take care of. We also live by the beach so that every human and dog tends to track in sand to help with the "patina". Since they had been finished at one point, I like to tell people that I'm going for the "hardware store chic" look. Bare wood, naturally sanded and honestly pretty cool looking in it's gray weathered state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:29 am:

Butte Auto Supply here in Oroville has wood floors--in fact they are diagonally laid at the corners as the place used to be a skating rink!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:16 am:

But that must have been before the war or after.
Alot of things in there were rationed during the early 40's

P.S. Not the wood floors...LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Probably Urban Legend, but Pep Boys claimed to have any part for any car. There commercials used to say so.

The legend is somebody put that to the test and it wasn't true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

???? and Peabody? Acck! I can't remember! Marshall?
I saw those wood floors too. Wonderful! Love wooden floors.
What a great pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Sherman was Mr. Peabody's pet human. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Wow! I didn't know that Pep Boys was even around in the '40s. Are those Indian pumps in the left foreground? When I was a kid, most families had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

The "PEP" Boys, Emanual “Manny” Rosenfeld, two Moes- Maurice “Moe” Strauss, "Moe" Radavitz, and W. Graham “Jack” Jackson opened their first store in Philadelphia in 1921. First store in Los Angeles opened in 1933.

The likeness shown as "Jack" in the caricatures of the PEP Boys is, in fact, not the likeness of the actual "Jack" Jackson . Jackson left the partnership early on and was replaced by Moe's Brother, Isaac (Izzy) Strauss. Since the name had already been established, the "Jack" was retained but the caricature likeness was made to show Izzy Strauss instead.

Can you imagine going to get your car serviced at "Manny, Moe, and Izzy's"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Pep Boys, JC Whitney, and Western Auto all built their businesses on the Model T Ford. Too bad Western Auto failed, it was a great business.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration