Starter disengages too quickly?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter disengages too quickly?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

So my 1925 is hard starting. The starter disengages too quickly. @Jim Kelsey said: "It sounds like the tabbed lock washers on your Bendix of the starter are not keeping the spring in place. That is an easy fix. Removing the starter cover can be a pain and be sure not to lose those four small screws. I would imagine that all you need to do is to tighten the screws that hold down the washers and then the starter will not spin as you were describing"

See picture, is that the Bendix? What do I tighten? There are two bolt heads on either side of the spring?

Oh! and found out the hard way if you spin the starter with the cover off you get a profuse gush of oil onto your garage floor to clean up.

starter bendix?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Yes the bolts are the two that you think they are. Take a photo of the bolts in view. Yes see your mess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:10 am:

I replied to your question in the prior post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Whoops -

two posts with the same question....

see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/698477.html?1481633291

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

It could be that your Bendix is fine and you need to retard the spark.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration