Old Photo - Model T Era - Auto Repair Shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Auto Repair Shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Could that be a Reagle or some other underslung? Even though the left rear tire is off, the car looks very low or the thin fellow is very tall.
Another great photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Definitely looks like the axle is above the spring, so yes, an "underslung."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

I thought the term 'underslung' was used to describe those few cars where the frame was under the axles, thus requiring extra large wheels to maintain ground clearance. Hopefully, others will chime in with photos/makers.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Allan,

Yup, frame needs to be under the axle to be considered "underslung"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Yes, the axle does appear to be above the frame. I believe it is similar to this Reagal Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

I see a tire laying on the back seat - Maybe it's a Regal touring car with an accessory trunk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Richard,

I believe Regal is correct. In the original photo above, the box between the rear spring shackles looks like the one on the Regal pictured below.

Regal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

Think he need a new gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:29 am:

With the rear end housing laying on the floor, my guess is it's a Regal. That was their weak link the transaxle.

My father had one years ago and the rear end was just destroyed inside. It looked like a bomb went off while driving.

While they look really cool they were really a poor mans American and totally underpowered. As a side bar they were manufactured just down the street from the Piquet factory.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Maybe not totally correct for the name "underslung"
but is was used by some to describe a Model T Ford in the 1920's you could purchase in Australia.

underslung

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:00 am:

Ah, the JOYS of linguistics! A single word (at least it is a ten letter word), can mean so many different things depending on circumstances and location.
The OP photo touring is an underslung, and almost definitely a Regal. If you look closely at the photo, you can see the rear axle is between the frame and the rear of the body. The rear seat is supported above the frame and axle. The frame curves up from under the axle the spring hanger.
Many years ago, I came close to buying the remains of two Regal Underslung cars. As such, I notice them on the rare occasions they show up. I often wonder what ever became of them. There was enough stuff to make a good start on one car. Doubt that anyone could have ever found enough of the missing parts to build the second one. At least not without spending a small fortune.

As for underslung model T Fords? That is a whole other long subject.
By the way. Did you know that Regal built a "Model T"? If you have a copy of Floyd Clymer's Scrapbook number 2? Look on page 126.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Ken LeBlanc, as you can see (proof positive) real Model T ford mechanics wear overalls. I now consider this matter closed.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Hummm? Is that a beer bottle on the floor? Shop looks disorganized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:21 am:

I thought the same thing that it's a beer bottle. I think there was only one man working on the car and he got out the beer and all the sudden a few other fellows show up to help. I know that's the way it works in my shop! :-)

I just wonder why Donnie hasn't identified the boiler in the far corner with the tall tank and gauge on top. Maybe that's why they are standing there, waiting for Donnie to repair the boiler. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Those turned up cuffs work great for catching that greasy nut or bolt. Or maybe sparks from a grinding wheel. Thought of sparks from cutting torches but maybe a bit early for those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir Atascadero on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

My Grandfather's repair shop, 4th of July 1918.in San Luis Obispo, Ca. The picture was taken during the Parade.
This down town block has been torn down and a hotel and shops are under construction presently.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Everything came in bottles or cans back then. Could be a ketchup bottle or a sarsaparilla.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration