Found it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Found it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Went into a town of 150 people that had a ace hardware store that would make home depot jealous. If they didn't have it you don't need it. Walking around and wondering how a small town could support a store that big. Well what did I find was a transmission drum balancer like used on model Ts. It had a 500 foot roll of 3 plex #2 electrical cable on it to unroll short pieces of wire off. I said I want to buy that wire holder The man said he would not sell it cause that was the best unwinder he knows of. I said name your price, and he said it would be easier to get rid of a grand kid than that. So there you have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:52 am:

>>>Went into a town of 150 people that had a ace hardware store that would make home depot jealous.<<<

I got you beat, Eugene. In the small Amish town of Charm, Ohio is Keim lumber. Pictures below - (all that woodwork was done by Amish craftsmen).

http://www.keimlumber.com/virtualtour-1

If you need to buy one lock washer, you can. If you need a $3,000 slab of exotic African hardwood, you can get it there. I'm not being hyperbolic. It's the most wonderful hardware/lumber store I've ever been in. It's only a few miles from Baltic, the location of the Stutzman wheelwright shop so if you happen to be in the neighborhood dropping off or picking up, you have to see Charm. There's a good Amish diner across the street from the hardware store. Make a day of it. There are a number of "bed and breakfasts" in the area if you can't do it in one day.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by the Amish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Gene, you can buy a new one for only about a grand. :-)

http://andersonscraper.com/Anderson-Static-Balancing-Ways.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Funny what you find in T stuff if you know what you are looking at-----found a 26 type fuel shut off valve for a dollar at our local Good Will it makes you wonder what was donated then went for scrap. The part is in very nice condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:26 am:

For those prices, I will hand fabricate them for anyone who wants one !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:47 am:

The issue as I see it is not the balance set up using wheels----its the shaft accuracy when balancing transmission drums or crank shafts. I balanced a dunn bolt on counter weight setup using hand saw rails set up using an accurate level then had the crank checked on a professional spin balance.
The crank was within there limits of there setup. The balancer said he did not know how I did it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Downtown Hope AR is the "Lagrone Williams Hardware" store. It is a time machine. One of their salesman says "If we don't have it, we can get it. If we can't get it, they don't make it".

Disclaimer: Owner is a close friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

There is one like those mentioned Indian Rocks, FL (SW Largo) just before you go over the bridge to the island and its' called Hammock's...

They will sell you one washer, or one nut, they sell by the ounce and have an old fashioned nail scale hanging by the get it yourself bins...they have full stainless also as it is less than a mile from the Gulf...they have electrical items I haven't seen in box stores in 30 years...ceiling fixtures for kitchens from the days of my youth and STILL offer round fluorescent lamp replacements...other electrical items that are the dark brown bakelite.

Billy will even rescreen your screen while you wait, but you have to accept he needs to go over to the register at times to wait on other people and he doesn't mind if after he has it stretched and started that you roll the little spline in the channel while he is gone, why he even charges you the same as if he did it for you...:-)

They cut things by the foot such as all thread and strip steel...and for PVC by the foot they ask you if you want the Schedule 20 like the box stores or the Schedule 40 which is about 4 times stiffer and actually smile when you say "of course, the 40!"...

May HD and Lowes never find these places :-):-):-)

There is but one 'house rule' You have to read the arrow on the floor...Aisle 3 is one way because the U.S. Post Office is a cubby window at the end of that aisle and Flo don't like folks messing up her queue lines :-) You go the wrong way you got Crackers n Yankees alike all over you!!!!

I love it there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Jesse..I know what you mean. Just went thru Charm last week dropping off wheels at Stutzmans but didn't have time for din-din. Maybe on way down to pick 'em up. My friend and I were on a mission to get there, drop off, get home to finish house stuff, etc. Last nice day of the season it was. We did stop for 5 mins. tho at Guggisberg for cheese!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Swaim's Hardware in Paris,Texas is in that rapidly diminishing cadre or "real'"hardware stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Found this you tube tour of Swaim's Hardware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yUxDVr6h0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:33 am:

>>>Maybe on way down to pick 'em up.<<<

The last time I was in Keim Lumber, they had a popcorn machine at the front door where you could pick up a complementary bag of popcorn and a warm cup of cider. I love snooping around an old-timey Ma & Pa hardware store but this is a hardware store experience worth seeking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:58 am:

DeSoto, MO has an old-time Ace hardware store. As soon as you walk in, an employee asks "can I help you", because the chances of you being able to find what you want in all the clutter is nil. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

From what I could see on the website, you might need food and drink to make it through the Keim store--one could get lost for days in there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Leo's Hardware on Avenue U Brooklyn N.Y. back in the late 50's early 60's. Don't know about T stuff but what seemed like 1000 small drawers behind the counter. Board floor and school house lamps on the ceiling. Kerosene by the gallon. Bring yer' own can. $0.35 cents if memory serves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Brass-era car nuts touring in western NJ or eastern PA often make a pilgrimage to Finkel's hardware store in Lambertville, NJ, just across the Delaware River from New Hope, PA.

A few years ago I was at Keim's on a one-and two-cylinder tour. I picked up a bottle of neats-foot oil. I told the young Mennonite woman at the cash register that I needed it for the clutch in my car, and that she'd probably sell quite a bit of it for cars today. She looked puzzled; no one had told her what was going to be in the parking lot. She went out for a peek and came back astounded. I offered her a ride, but she said she had to work. Her lunch hour was coming up, so I said I'd wait. When we got into my car, the boss came out and asked me: "Where are you going with my employee?" I said: "Sir, if I appeared in my modern car and offered this pretty young woman a ride, you'd call the police. But in this car, I think she's probably safe." He grinned and wished us a pleasant ride. The girl loved it.

On the way back, she said there was a young Amishman in the stockroom who had always wanted a ride in an antique car. I told her to go get him and I'd give him a ride. She went in and came out crestfallen: "He's too shy." I said: "Take me to him", and she did. I asked the young man how many times he expected God to give him a chance to do something he'd always wanted to do. He came with me, and we had a blast, our single cylinder banging down the road with the cutout open, going maybe 28 mph, three or four times what he could do in a buggy. If his grin had been any wider, the sides of his mouth would have met at the back and his head would have fallen off. A good day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Hi, Gil the Elder. Thanks for relating that story for us. Sometimes, if we're lucky, we too might get the chance to make someones' day in this way. I do it every chance I get. It doesn't take much time and the rewards are huge, virtually priceless. There's no better way to make a friend of our hobby. Thanks for telling us about these wonderful experiences.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Just thought I'd throw in a pic of the static balancer I bought at the closing sale of an auto repair shop last year. Nobody wanted it so I offered $5 and got it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration