Spedster Headlights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spedster Headlights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Just had these babies installed for safer night time runs for ice cream.
they're brighter than my 2016 headlights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:43 am:

David - What are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Super bright LED bulbs. simple wiring, but MAN what a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:25 am:

The real problem is a 60 mph car coming up behind a 30 mph Model T and realizing too late the T is going that slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I see a whole different set of problems. If one lives in a place where being run
over is a problem, they live in the wrong place. If standard lighting isn't adequate,
they are driving too fast. Why is it so many live in a hellhole for doing what they
enjoy in life without questioning their location ? And why do so many want to
make their T's drive like modern cars ? Isn't the "old and sputtering" the whole
point of the experience ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Yikes.
I just thought I'd see the squirrels a little better. thought you guys would like them too.

Brighter headlights don't make me go any faster - I still enjoy the "old and sputtering" - after all, If I didn't, why have a Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Brighter lights would be nice but I second that my concern would be getting hit from behind. I bought a couple of flashing red triangles. I'm hoping they help ease that fear. They were cheap from Harbor Freight and battery powered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Good idea Troy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

David,

Do those run on 6V or 12V?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I hope the ice cream stayed cool in the Speedster. Good on you for the safety improvement.
The single taillight on a T adds to the problem. I am not proud to have reflectors on my Coupe but believe they help. We drove it to breakfast before daylight this morning and lived to tell about it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Anyone here have any experience running these?

https://www.modeltford.com/item/6572HAL6.aspx

I was thinking about giving them a try, because the combined 100 candle power just doesn't seem to cut it, not sure why. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKd6uWGSL_8&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

How do they look when they are off? Can you post a close up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

They are running on 12 volt - as is the car.
I have two tail lights that are LED bulbs for brightness. when all lights are off, everything looks normal old.
Hopefully I don't do much night driving, but they will be there if i get stuck after dark w/ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

tailHere is a picture of the rear w/ the two tail lights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

David, I'm sure there are lots of guys here that want to know more about what kind of bulbs you have. I for one do, Please tell us more.

I guess I live in one of those "Hell Holes" Burger is talking about but is more like Heaven to me when I see the weather reports from back home and I'm sitting here on the beach in SoCal in mid winter after driving my T for the last four days with the top down in my T shirt.

Yes, the rear end risk is great but the driving is always fun. You really just need to be sensible when out driving around modern cars.

I have always believed that I am safer driving on the freeways near the right lane than on most of our side streets. I do try to drive in the 50 range.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I should explain my above comments ....

I spent 30 years in Seattle. When Microsoft came to town, the place
went bonkers with sprawl and the entire region went from a swampy
sh!thole to a stunt driver proving ground IN a swampy sh!thole. It took
work just to escape the endless treadmill of car washes, fast food joints,
and general ugly and one day it just occurred to me that the entire place
ran counter to everything I love to do. It was time to find the right place.
Leave the BMW race team behind.

(little did I know that Spokane was home to the Model T epicenter of the world)

Personally, the darkened nickel headlight bowls and purple headlight
are one of my primary attractions to the T, and I would not drive it any
other way. Changing them out for "better" would be like putting mags
on my T because they were "better". "The look" of wood spoke wheels
and all that is NOT modern about a T (or T era vehicle) is why I own one.
I do not want it to be modern. If I did, I'd just buy a KIA and get back up
camera, rear seat movies, and cupholders out of the deal. That's not
why I own old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

I don't think I could do all that rain either.

I looked and paid a pretty price for my 1912 More Light lenses just so I could hide the light bulbs inside cause I also want to keep that original period look. Sorry I have a cup holder just for safety...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Yea,......I put halogens on my speedster, they are great at night as I live out in the sticks. Now I can at least identify what I am about to hit,....being unable to stop in time........(sic)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Gene: I have to add a caveat to your first post, and that is, it is never night time in our area. There are just too many lights everywhere, especially the street lights. I know - I spent 10 years installing them! It's brighter on some roads at night than during the daytime. It puts a nice set of acetylene headlights to waste ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Gene - the car is off getting seats made so I will get the info on the brand and origin as soon as I can get access.

As far as the previous comments from Burger,
May I say that I am new to this forum and also to the model T.
I inherited this car from my father when he passed away and promised him before he died that I would proudly finish his car for him. As he would. I grew up learning from him about cars, restorations, and car culture. He had countless projects and many original model T Fords. He taught me that there are different personalities no matter the interest group, and to respect the opinions of others and their project's purpose, as they are all different and reflect the passion and love of the hobby. In this case, I believe my purpose is both for fun and legacy of my father. I don't agree that these headlights Create the end of the world for model t purists. With that said, Burger, I respect your opinion of modernizing a model T. I agree with most of what you said and hope you have had a chance for a positive experience with the passion you've shown, and found satisfaction in your approach to the historical value of remaining period correct. It must bring you such joy to have that experience, but keep in mind that others on this forum may have things that they find joy in doing their own way, for reasons not needing explanation or apology.

I love my model T more than anything, and I am growing to love the hobby and the people in it. This forum alone has shown me things in ever knew and introduced me to people with a wealth of knowledge that cannot be given a value.

I can't thank you enough for your passion for the car. And hope that you will continue to provide constructive feedback in the future. I know I appreciate every bit of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

David

We are all still wondering what lights you used for your headlight and who you purchased them from.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Sure thing!
Car is off getting seats made
Lights were installed by a buddy.
I'll get the info posted up asap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:33 am:

David, your father passed some great values down to you. It is nice to see them posted here.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:40 am:

David,

I see you're from near Youngstown, OH. Have you been on any of the Ohio Jamborees? I've been to all but the first two. If you haven't you're missing a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

I can remember going to some kind of Ford picnic at the Snyder's shop, but I'm not sure if it is what you are talking about. definitely interested n going from here on out though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

David,

Many years back the tour was centered in Youngstown and we did visit Snyder's. Might be what you're remembering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Beautiful speedster David! Have you posted more pics of it yet? Hint hint. ;-)
Put me on the list of patiently waiting for info on those lights also. :-)
I'm at the point (begrudgingly) of having to find and add a lamp to the right side rear of my roadster (your tail lamps look great!) so I have two and have not even hooked up my headlamps yet.
I'm using yellow lenses in my headlights (Burger and at least one other fella here use purple lenses) and a slightly yellowish light from behind the lens might look kinda dim, depending on what I use to to power some bulbs.
I wanna see and be seen! As far as lighting goes.
Always looking at options. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration