Old Photo - My grandpa, Franklin PA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - My grandpa, Franklin PA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:00 am:

This is an old photo of my Grandfather (center) and his sister (right) - Not sure who the girl on the left is, maybe a cousin. Check out the old Ford! who knows what year it is.Franklin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:14 am:

It is a center door, looks like 1917 - 23. No way to tell any more accurately with no view of the front of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I believe Ford's last center door sedans were made in 1923, but that doesn't date the picture. The girls' bobbed hair says mid-twenties. Before that they would have had long hair. When was Dad born? He looks to be about four or five in the picture, so that should get you pretty close to the year.

Mom and her sisters with three of my cousins in 1924. The title written on the photo is "Bobs all". Note the dresses similar to what the tall girl is wearing in your picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Grandpa was born in 1919 and his sister 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

More importantly, finally, a picture that someone knows some history of!! Good for you David! Treasure it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Ooops, my bad! You too Steve...didn't really catch the bottom part. Both great pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

David,

If you want to narrow the date of the car down even more, if you scan the photo at 300 x 300 dpi or greater it will have a lot more detail of the car. It will also be way too big to post on the forum. But if you then crop it to show just the car – it may be fine. If it is still too large if you show the door handle and front 2 side windows – that may allow us to figure out if the car has the strap or the notches to hold the windows up. It might or might not allow us to tell the shape of the door handle “T” or “L.” If you send me a high resolution scan of the photo I will gladly take a closer look at it. You can click on my name and it brings up my profile. My e-mail address is the 3rd line down in my profile. For an illustration of how much more we can see with the higher resolution scan please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/538954.html scroll down to By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 06:47 am: It can make a big difference – but not always.

As Royce and Steve pointed out the Ford Centerdoors were produced for the 1915 to 1923 model years. Assuming – and that can get us in trouble – that the car has the original parts that came on it from the factory we have:

The demountable wheels make it 1919 model year (started Jan 1919) or later (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1919.htm where it has: “Demountable-rim wheels were standard on closed cars…” (If you check the 1918 year information, the four lug demountable wheels were not offered yet by Ford.) The photo clearly show a 4 lug demountable wheel (as opposed to the accessory 5 lug demountables offered for earlier cars).

The door handle is NOT a bale style. Those were phased out by a “T” shaped handle around late 1921 and then to an “L” shaped handle around 1922. (Ref Page 288 of Bruce McCalley’s “Model T Ford”) And yes there could have been overlap when both were used. On page 292 Bruce only used the year 1921 for the “T” shaped handle and did not add the “late 1921.” But because we can tell the handle is NOT a bale shaped door handle we know the car is a 1921 or later.

So it is a 1921 to 1923 Centerdoor (assuming parts were not changed).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration