Gabriel snubbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gabriel snubbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Finding the cotton webbing that was used on the snubbers is proving to be elusive. The original material is 1-1/4" wide and 3/8 thick. The closest material that I can find is 1" wide and 3/32" thick with a breaking strength of 1,150 lbs. There is also Kevlar webbing available that is 1" wide and 3/32" thick with a breaking strength of 4,000 lbs. Has anyone used the narrower webbing successfully and if so would the cotton webbing be strong enough? The cotton webbing has nylon thread woven into it for strength so it is probably stronger than what was used originally but as far as I know there is no way to tell what the braking strength of the original material was. Has anyone found a different material to substitute?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:50 am:

You can get MIl-4088 webbing in 1 1/4" width / 2500 LB load limit. That should be sufficient:

http://www.strapworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FNW114C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Restoration supply sells "substitute" webbing - read the description. It is 1/4" thick.

http://www.restorationstuff.com/featured9.html

For about 1/2 the price, you could purchase the hood lace from them and sew it yourself, if you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

The issue is how strong and how thick does it have to be to work. The way the strap attaches looks like it requires a fairly thick strap material. The stuff Restoration Supply sells is way too expensive and I do not have access to a sewing machine that could handle sewing stuff that thick. The stuff Strapworks sells would be great if wasn't so thin but I doubt it will work because of the way it is supposed to be attached and in any event it probably would not look right. I guess you would have to use 6 layers of it to come up with the original 3/8" thickness but you might be able to sew the Nylon webbing on a regular sewing machine. I have to see if my local cobbler would be willing to sew the hood lacing from Restoration Supply together for less than $7.20 a foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Would 1-1/4 wide, 1/4 thick woven brake lining from McMaster Carr work? The price is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Ted, I think that the woven brake lining is too rigid. The material has to be flexible enough to fold back on itself and roll up fairly tight. I thought about kevlar band material but it is too rigid as well. I guess there was a reason why they used that specially woven cotton. It did last over 90 years on my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:32 am:

The tan 4088 webbing should look very close to the original. At 2000 lbs it is probably twice as strong as the original webbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Thanks Royce. I don't know how you find this stuff. I can't seem to find anything on the internet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Are these things actually useful? I found a set at an antique store for $20 but can't decide if it is worth the trouble or frame drilling to install them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's about a couple of angels not happy with Gabriel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I just went to Google and put in webbing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration