Fan not turning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fan not turning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

I am stumped this morning. The fan pulley will not turn the way it should when the T is running. I made the adjustment of the fan bracket bolts. Tightened it to the point the fan was turning, but noticed grease oozing out of the pulley and splattering onto the engine, etc.

Could it be the fan shaft was too tight? Could the bushings be shot?

This is a 1920 T. Incidentally, the first thing I replaced this spring was the fan shaft. The previous shaft had snapped in two. The car has only been run sporadically this year. No problem until this morning. I am suspecting the bushings need replacement? Many thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Grease doesn't work well here unless the bushings are wore out. If it fits as it should and it has grease packed in it, seizure is normal.

Take it back apart and clean it all really well. I use chainsaw bar and chain oil in mine. Doesn't make a huge mess and works well.

When adding oil to the hub I remove the plug and turn the fan so the plug hole is horizontal. If you fill it with the hole at the top it will be over full and go all over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

That works unless he has the riveted style fan, they do take grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Toss the original oil type hub and get a new sealed bearing hub. Iv had mine for 10 years and not one problem plus it doesn't make a mess of the engine compartment. Keep in mind that the belt does not have to be very tight at all. I run mine with a fair amount of slack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Use 85W-140 gear oil in your fan hub. It will lubricate but not throw oil out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Thanks for the info. The fan is a riveted type. I ordered a new bushing today while I have it apart. Does it just slip off with several taps? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:04 am:

1920 was the year Ford changed the design of the fan, so it could be either style. Everyone has their own opinion. I prefer to use the original style and application for my cars. I have a 1913 with over 50,000 miles on it and it still has the original fan. The secret is to use what it was designed to use, and not over tighten the belt. I've had the best luck with the new Gates belts made in Mexico.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:15 am:

I absolutely agree with Will Copeland. The sealed-bearing hub is the only non-stock part on my T. Henry woulda used it if the technology existed at an affordable price. BTW: I did the replacement because of the grease everywhere, not because of any problem with the original grease-type hub. I saved the original in case some future custodian of my T wants to be totally authentic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration