Reuse these part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Reuse these part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Hi I'm rebuilding my first rear end and drive shaft and I wanted opinions about some of the parts I've removed. As far as I know these are the original 92 year old parts. I don't plan on driving cross country or anything but I want the vehicle to be safe. See pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

I wouldn't leave town with them. I would be worth your time to replace them while you have things apart. However I could see them giving a few hundred miles on a low budget rebuild. Opinions may Vary.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

James, Both gears look bad and should be replaced. There may be a few miles left in the ring gear but why cut corners and go cheap. Be sure and check all of the other differential parts too. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

The ring gear isn't sooo bad, but the pinion is junk. The differential gears look good. I always prefer changing the ring & pinion as a set. You'll most likely get the quietest set-up that way.

Since a stock Model T stops through the drivetrain, don't think of these parts as what makes the car go, think of them as your brakes. That should inform your decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Yes, the pinion is toast, and I don't even like the ring gear. Differential gears and spiders are often OK. But follow Glen's book. Get all parts clean, inspect them carefully, and measure them. Some prefer to stick with the original type pinion bearing, but I'll always bypass that and the inner sleeve which is usually no good, and go with John Regan's FP bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

They are useable but you can find much better ones at swap meets. As far as swap meet parts go those are some I would pass on. Most people would.

Those in the picture have done their duty. Its time to replace them with some good used ones that aren't that hard to come by.

Of course you can always buy some new ones. Depends on what your budget is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

IMO, the differential spider, spider gears, and case look fine. You need a new ring gear and pinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

At best, the gears will be very noisy. At worst, the teeth will break off and you will lose brakes. Not a good situation.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I so quickly forget the drive chain is the brakes. Thank you guys for the feedback. While I'm this deep I might as well do it right the first time. Again thank you everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Go back to what Jerry said above. The driveline of a Model T IS its braking system. You cannot afford to drive a car with a questionable braking system.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Looks to me that as a minimum a good used ring and pinion is required.

It would be pointless to go through all the effort on the rear axle and put it back together the way it is.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration