Another home-made tool: back to the drawing board

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another home-made tool: back to the drawing board
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Not having the proper Ford Z tool, I made a clutch drum puller. It worked great on the first transmission. Not so great on the second one. I'm afraid I may have to turn the drum red to get it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

You fit right into the trial and error mode that Henry must have gone through back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Steve, here's the one i made from some leftover 1" steel tubing and some angle iron. Works like a charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

Instead of torching straight bolts, try using beefy J-bolts or eye bolts with part of the eye cut off with a whizzer wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Jeff,
I have had a clutch drum that was on so tight it deformed as it was pulled. So a better puller may get the drum off but render it useless in the process. If the drum doesn't easily come off I would use a hot torch to quickly heat the drum while under moderate tension from the puller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

I ruined a clutch drum several years ago using Fords puller. That was probably the hardest one I've ever pulled. Didn't have a torch to heat it up at the time.
I've learned to have my torch handy now when I take a transmission apart.
I've had more issues removing the driven gear. I have Fords puller for it also but sometimes I wonder how they were pressed on to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

I snapped one of the studs off an original Ford drum puller on a particularly stubborn drum once - hot wrench is handy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Steve - my puller is a cross between yours and John Noonan's. Instead of having one bar on each side coming down with a stud, I used two on each side welded just far enough apart to slip over the clutch drum, and then I just put 2 short bolts through the holes (which are where Noonan's studs are) and the holes in the drum and tighten the center bolt. I loaned the tool out but can send a photo if wanted. As others have said, this tool can break the drum, so a little heat is helpful.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration