On balancing a part...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: On balancing a part...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

every now and then I get a little ornery and disclose a few things about the next generation manufacturing stuff...

Here is a quick little process flow that provides parts that are near indestructible at near commodity prices...:-) :-)

Sorry, they don't/won't do T parts (yet)

just for grins and giggles...for the guys who gnawed their molars on making things from nothing.........good ole RDR would have a good month of back and forth chatter PM's on this one :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

George,

How are you getting .040 nitride layer in step 5? We get H13 gas nitrided to .012 and it takes nearly 40 hours to get that much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

George, don't expect them ever to make model T parts by that process. No one is going to go through all that and then listen to people bitch about how much the parts cost. Whoever buys from them wants quality parts, not quality parts cheap. Can you tell us what kinds of things they are making?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

One nice thing about nitriding is that it puts compressive stresses in the surface of about 15,000 psi. One of our club members has made ductile iron Model T crankshafts using the sure mike as a model. I think the reason these have worked well is that he has nitrided each one.

Here is the advantage, any tensile stress on the surface is reduced by the 15,000 psi compressive stress. If the peak tensile stress would be 40,000 psi, then with nitriding it would be only 25,000 psi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Jerry,

You take a nitriding furnace, you get a high frequency Tesla lightning bolt firing in the airless nitrogen. You hold it there for 24 hrs and with 50 point Carbon on a chrome moly vanadium alloy ...and boda-bing you get the 1mm...

Erik, you are right of course...my gist was the re-emergence of a Vanadium alloy...some of the output goes into forming and crushing operations where the crush force bows the crush rolls ...other goes to automotive applications. I can't say who, but just think high end and big :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Velarde on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:31 am:

What was wrong with just pouring babbitt? You go listening in school and now you know big words. "for the guys who gnawed their molars on making things from nothing" I ask, were their molars in or out of their mouth at the time? Old timer! I had a grin and a giggle, that stuff is cool...The science and use of chemistry, metallurgy and all those things in our environment to aid in the movement of innovation is fascinating to me. I would only like it to move faster with cures and medicines for certain illnesses. Nice post..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:43 am:

I am a know nothing when it comes to metallurgy.
This is Georges thread his area--- so I have a question? Would hard chromeing possibly help a stock T cranks longevity?----or a waste of time and green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Paul,

Hard Chrome has a place, but is not a universal cure. Building up a journal can be fine, selectively doing crank pin can be fun, but covering junk with chrome can actually cause a crack where one wasn't there to begin with!

Scratch the chrome just the right way and have something in flex, and the scratch becomes a crack and that crack migrates into the crank.

There is also the Little problem that chromate bath has benign Cr3 molecules and while the raw chrome is racing to the surface of the material the state is Cr6...which Califunny and about 49 other places consider a bad stuff....but it does change form to Cr3 again at the end of the current and any wayward gets washed off in drag out. The Russians have come up with a way to keep it Cr3 throughout the process but the damage has been done, less and less places are doing Less hard chrome...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Thanks George, it looks like it would be a bad idea for triple gear pins as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

OK, so you're floating down any river in your wire canoe, and the wheel falls off ....

How long would it take a one-legged grasshopper to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

I think there should be a compilation made with all of Burger's posts!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Hard chrome repairs of crankshafts are being replaced by spray welding repairs. Much better results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Paul- we tried hard chrome on triple gear shafts about 15 years ago- it does not solve any problems.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Dan, George sent me a tool--we did lots of investigation on triple gear issues--- what was found was more then one vender sold pins----some with much better finish then others.
The better the finish the better the clearance can be had.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration