OT Hydraulic bottle jack question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Hydraulic bottle jack question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I want to rehabilitate a 20 ton shop press with screwed up hydraulics.

The local shop equipment store offers the 20-ton low-profile jack shown below. On the packaging one can see they brag this jack can be used horizontally, angled or vertical (the 20-ton standard-profile jack offers no such versatility.)

It would suit me just fine if I could bolt this jack UPSIDE DOWN to the upper crossmember on my press.

What are the chances this will be successful? I'd like the odds to be in my favour before spending $84.99+tax to find our for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

It doesn't say upside down does it? Probably because it won't pick up oil for the pump in that direction and won't work. If you're thinking of making a press you'll need a hydraulic cylinder and a separate pump/oil res. like a Porta Power set-up has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Look at Harbor Freight. The 20 to press is &199.99 US and the bottle jack is right side up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I'll guarantee you it will not work upside down. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Thanks everyone. Dave, much as I expected.

This forum is such a great community!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED THIBODEAU on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Harbor Freight also sell a 20 ton air over hydraulic cyl that works great in any 20 ton press and it goes right in in an upright position

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

I have 1 similar that works sideways.I have used it to push out a chassis rail 1 time. No upside down that I know of.

I just wish i could replace the jack on my lawnmower lift. It has a threaded hole in the bottom to hold it to the frame and none of the jacks I look at have a threaded hole in the bottom. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Mack, can you drill a hole and tap it?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration