Best time of year to buy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Best time of year to buy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:52 am:

I think I am ready to buy a Model T. I have everything sorted out insurance, storage, and financial wise. Ideally, I would like to get one in February, or no later than March. I have looked at two for sale locally, and I don't imagine anymore will appear for the rest of the freezing winter. I am fearing that I may not be able to find a suitable car in time for the driving season.

Is there such thing as a peak buying/selling season? I can only imagine it increases during the warm spring/summer months.

P.S. Chris Bamford, I have been trying to email and call you. I would like to meet up with you again if possible, to discuss this topic!

Thanks everyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:08 am:

I have some pretty strict rules about this .....

I will only buy a car in early January. Unless it something comes up in
mid-to-late January or February, at which point I might make an exception.
Sometimes March or April, but never June, unless it comes before July,
at which point I am another month on and buying into July or August.
Fall buying is right out, unless an opportunity arises through September
or October. If I wait, I find myself buying in November or even December.
Or I might wait until the following year and see what comes up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:27 am:

I suspect that prices might be higher in warm driving weather than in winter, and that some might be more eager to sell in the cold months. Whether that's the case or not, there are currently 111 Model T listings in Hemmings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:49 am:

I am trying to find one locally (or at least in Canada) due to the poor exchange rate on my end. Unfortunately, I can't fork out the extra cash for most T's sold in the US, no matter how well restored and abundant they are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Well are you wanting to work on it or just get in and drive?? If you have a heated garage it doesn't matter when you buy to work on it.
Or you can check out Model T Haven. They have all kinds of cars. That's where I bought mine, and it only took me 13 months to get it going.
Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:23 am:

I am looking for one that is restored (or well preserved) and ready to drive. Cosmetic work is fine, but am looking for very little mechanical work outside of routine maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 06:57 am:

This is the ideal time to buy. If you are in the state of Texas it is also a great time to drive. Being where you are, perhaps you should join the Calgary Model T Club and check with the locals. Good deals are often close to home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:18 am:

The time to buy it is when you see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Burger, now I'm even more confused, as to did I do the right thing, I mean buying in December, when I should have waited until January or February or later. it is true that my birthday is in December and I found a touring that I liked and wanted, but did I do the right thing????

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAg3jV4bq6k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Hi Ryan -- great to hear you're closing in on getting a T! My email hasn't changed, try sending me a PM or perhaps you've inadvertently dropped the "j" from chrisjbamford-at-hotmail-dot-com.
We should have a look together at those two you're thinking about. If they're local we'll drive over in one of mine. Wear your long johns!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:59 am:

I just bought an unrestored a month ago, specifically so that I could get the engine work done during the winter when I can't get much driving done here in Rochester, NY.

While the engine block is off at the rebuilders I'll work on the chassis mechanicals in my small .. unheated .. garage. Brrr. Hopefully I'll be driving it by late Spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:11 am:

For some reason virtually all the cars I've bought, from the A to the last T, I've acquired between Nov. thru March. Most were Dec.-Jan. acquisitions! I attribute it to cabin fever/winter boredom! And I'm shopping again!! God help me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Lots depends on where you live. I suspect the buyer's market get a little hotter in fall up here in the northern climes where people are desperately seeking winter storage for other stuff than the old car taking up space in the garage or shed. In warmer areas, my guess is there really is no real difference in favorable times to be a buyer or seller. For the areas in between, the progression of the seasons might have some affect on the best buying/selling times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:26 am:

The best time to buy is when the price is right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:42 am:

In all my years of buying and selling of antique cars and stuff in general. Just think of me as an "Arkansas Picker" :-) I have found that the months leading up to Christmas. Aprox. Oct to Dec are poor months to sell a car or anything that is not a good candidate for a Christmas present. Peoples funds are tighter then and are being used for the holidays. But it is a good time to buy. People are more likely to take less for their items then. They may need funds to get a particular item they are wanting to buy or help with higher heating costs, ect. So they may be more receptive to "dealing". Now the best time to sell is as soon as the tax return checks are starting to come in. With the advent of "early or instant returns" That can be anytime after the first of the year in early January till about the end of March. People seem to have a little more "loose cash" at that time. Now this is just a very loose opinion based on my experiances thru the last 35 plus years of dealing and picking. There can be "deals" found anytime of the year, and sales can happen anytime as well. But I feel like this time of year is a good time to be looking. You just need to get the word out that you are looking to buy ... Good luck in the search... have fun and be safe.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williamson on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:07 am:

The best time to buy a car, is when the right car is available, even if the price is a little on the high side. The right cars are not waiting around, somebody will always buy the best quality and most unmolested. You will get over paying a little too much for good quality. Overcoming poor quality is far more expensive, than buying good quality

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Buy now. Every day closer to spring will make a runner that more valuable. I would say that in the snowbelt states, mid to late October would be the best time. Here in sunny Florida, it really shouldn't make much difference when. A project car shouldn't be as season-sensitive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a good time. Lots of people are looking for extra cash for holiday purchases and you can often get a good deal. If you have winter storage space, it will work out fine, and you'll have plenty of time to get any issues sorted out to be ready to drive on the first nice Spring day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:29 am:

The best car buys I see are between Christmas & Valentines Day.

Folks are spent on holiday purchases - credit card bills are due - income tax day is looming - reality is setting in ....

But I like Da Burgers' answer best .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:12 am:

I totally agree that it depends on where you live. I doubt I could even buy one around here right now if I wanted to. Single digit weather and snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Any month with an R in it is a good time to buy. Otherwise the current owner is probably driving the car and has no intention of selling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:25 am:

It doesn't appear to be the time of year to me it's more the situation. My first was an estate sale in the summer. The next two were from much older guys who got no use of them. Both in the spring. What I did learn from this, after looking at a few others after that, is you can't get a deal (reasonable/cheap) from a T guy whose into the car and still uses it. #1 and 3 ran # 2 didn't. All were in good shape body/paint/interior wise. All were under $6 G's and sold for much more after I was done. Like I said: a T guy with a good looking/running car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Warren,

It pays to have strong self discipline on things like this. Giving this a
few moment's thought, I'd say you COULD buy a car in early January,
but if something comes up in mid-to-late January or February, you might
make an exception (?). March or April often follow, and of course, these
will have to be considered as they happen. June can be a problem, unless
it comes before July, but if neither happen I am another month on and buying
into August. Fall buying is right out, unless an opportunity arises through
September or October. If I wait, I find myself buying in November or even
December. Or I might wait until the following year and see what comes up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I bought my '13 in January of 2015. Dickered with the owner while I was down with the flu the previous November. Had to re-schedule my trip to Minneapolis at least 3 times due to bad and/or very cold weather. As it was, when we got there, we had to put a trouble light under the pan to warm up the oil enough to be able to crank it. Went to lunch and an hour later she started with 3 pulls. Not bad for a bitter cold winter and sitting for two years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Tim,

I found that 1913 penny ... :-)

Did you buy the 1912 ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Ryan don't these guys sound like a bunch of real estate agents?

It's ALWAYS a good time to buy! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Haha, I sure did get a kick out of the responses to say the least!

Thanks guys for your input, and a PM has been sent, Chris!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:20 am:

It was a good day for a buyer here in New Hampshire as I sold my 1922 touring car this morning.

Ryan, good luck with your search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:05 am:

Bill, I didn't know you had a '22 for sale. I would have liked to check it out and maybe purchased it.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: you must stay on guard as you now have created a vacuum that can only be filled with another T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Best time to buy is when you find a car you want. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Thanks F.J.! I'll watch the mail for it when you get a chance. No news yet on the '12...still waiting for the owner to figure out what to do...per previous posts on it. That's OK, no rush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

Ryan, don't just buy the first car you find. Look around a little bit. Also, I would not count on driving the car too much until you've had time to make sure it is safe and reliable. Many T's for sale and some that are being driven have severe safety issues that will need to be addressed. Have somebody who has experience working on and driving T's drive and check out any of the cars you look at before deciding to buy it.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

I think that the best time to buy a car is when you CAN!

That said, be somewhat cautious if your wife is sick and you are at an auction! About 3 minutes after waving my card for the last time, she called letting me know she felt better and wanted to meet out front so she had her pass into the sale... "um err ahh, I need to tell you something dear"

She likes the new car, but I am not sure what the final cost may be...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration