Old Photo - Model T Era - Charlie Walker's Garage, Mariposa California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Charlie Walker's Garage, Mariposa California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Looks more like a scene from a Model T group touring and someones water pump went out! A lot of advice and sidewalk mechanics...now everyones going to miss getting ice cream!

Look at the banner on the building, Run on Nails...puncture proof tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:46 am:

My dad got a flat tire on a "Puncture Proof" tire!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:47 am:

My dad got a flat tire on a "Puncture Proof" tire
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Wooden building burned down and was replaced by stone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

That could just be stucco over all the original stuff, the "new" building looks to be the same height as the one in the old photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Disirregardlessly, I am so glad to see that those cool structures in the distance
were demolished and replaced with boring sterile looking stuff when they made
"improvements" to the close up street scene. Good work, America !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Burger..."yep"!! A great example is what used to be a nice little town I grew up in called Huron, Ohio that was destroyed by "Urban Renewal". I bet you can google it and find all sorts of stuff on it. Not only did it destroy the town physically, but the townspeople emotionally. What a battle. Town has never been the same. But the former building owners made out like bandits with the federal $$ they made off it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

David, I found a historical reference that said "This is the location of garage before the wood buildings burned down. The wood buildings on this site burned down; the new building was built with rock walls. C. J. Walker bought the building from Mr. Gann, whose descendants still live in Mariposa. After Mr. Walker's death the building was sold to his daughter and son-in-law, Marge and Jim Dulcich. It was first a restaurant, then a grocery store. The Dulcich's son now operates a hardware store in the building."

Here are pictures old and new looking down the street the other directions from about the same spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Chris,
Ah, well that about cinches it--if you can believe what you read in the papers! :-)
Looks like the fire took out the buildings between the two brick ones--and the hotel has somehow survived so far!
BTW, my Cousin Carol Iudice (she might go by Dewey now) runs (or did run) the pizza place in town. I think the two story building in the background of the first modern pic is her place too (not the pizza parlor, but her home & apartments).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration