Hahaha to You Mr. Smarty Pants

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hahaha to You Mr. Smarty Pants
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

This morning I had a very nice young fellow to my house to give me a quote for a new garage door. He measured, we talked (I already knew what door I wanted) and the installation is scheduled for Friday.

He looked at the ol' TT and said, "How are you going to move the truck out of the way?" I replied, "I thought I'd start it and drive it out." The look on his face was priceless. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Lol Nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

People are funny like that. I had my 14 out back in a lean to shed for a while. I was in the front yard doing something to it and a guy from down the road stopped to look at it. He asked me how I got it around front. I told him I drove it. Same look. Then he got to telling his wife,"look honey those wheels are oak." I told him they were hickory. Maybe I shouldn't have, he wanted her to think he was on to something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

You drove that car here?!?!?!
Yeah, it's too heavy to push by myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Yeah, I get awfully tired when I carry mine. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

O... ya it's great. Filling the gas tank at the gas station. I get questions like does it run on gas ? Or did you drive it here.It puts a smile on my face! And there's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Brian, I have to remember that. Im here laughing my A off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Back in my Model A days a bunch of us drove to a restaurant for lunch. When we came out, a guy asked whether the cars had come here under their own power. I said: "Oh, golly no! Weren't you here when the big army helicopter was lowering them one at a time into the parking lot? If you stick around, you can see it come back and take us away."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

My apologies if this interchange previously appeared on the Forum. It so good I can't resist !

Man stops at a gas station, hauling a load of scrap in his TT.

Gas station attendant: "Where you headed ?"

Driver: "To the dump."

Attendant: "How you gonna get home ?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Before I painted mine, see my profile picture, I went to a little store about 5 miles down a backroad. I went out and a lady asks me,"is that all y'all have to drive?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

I remember when we were moving a steam locomotive from a park to the Railroad Museum. Had two trailers rigs with 11 axles on the locomotive rig and we'd stopped at a weigh station to make certain we were within the load permit (we did have to move a few axles around to balance it). A guy comes by and looks at our load and wants to know what scrap yard we're heading to! (And I had repainted the cab and tender lettering for the trip, just to make the load look better).
The public is so interesting.
BTW, we stopped for lunch in one town in Nevada and the entire town came out to look at the loco--first train in town since the rails were pulled up back in the 50s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

I can't claim to have invented that saying, I think I read it on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

I was on a tour with a few other T's, we were in North Dakota. Had stopped for gas and a man walks up and sees our plates were from AZ. He asks where is our support vehicle (trouble trailer). I told him it kept breaking down, so we had to leave it behind. He just looked at me for a minute and them walked away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

i have been asked all the model T questions at the gas pump that every has been asked. I have a lot of fun too. people laugh and we both laugh after a while. the only question I couldn't answer and could use some help n this one in case I ever get asked it again. the man askd me " are those real wood spokes"???? I didn't know how or what to answer. merry Christmas to all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Young and dumb...a 1926 roadster with a Fronty head and bad exhaust. I had a new pipe but it didn't fit just right so off to town I went to the muffler shop for a little bend. All is good, nice summer day and I have on a pair of bib overalls with no shirt. I pull into the muffler shop and shut it down and everyone inside stands up and faces the windows...OK, expected. What I didn't know was I had a city cop behind me with his lights on to pull me over.

Now it gets fun...license, registration, proof of insurance, well I have a license but no insurance or registration and no plates. The 20 year old cop gets frustrated and I have no working headlights or horn or brake light (?). He is getting a little mad and asked me "Mr. Moore, is this your only means of transportation?". I told him "no, I also have a horse". People are now laughing and he tells me that if I leave here not on a trailer he will give me 7 or 8 tickets. I got the work done, skipped out the back lot and on my merry way back home. Would not recommend that and wouldn't do it again today.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

How fast can you go? Not any faster than the truck. My personal favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

How fast will it go? No clue, no speedometer! I was clocked by one of our town officers and he laughed because he said he had to turn off the heater blower in his car to clock me at 21mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Yep! We've got them here in NZ too. Bloke pulls into the filling station [not a service station any more as there is no service] and this 10 year old kid says "Hey Dad, come and look at this car. It's got wooden mags!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

"What year is it? A 48"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

I once took my 12 year old niece camping in the Adirondacks in my 26 Grapes of Wrath. There is a 45 mile old logging trail from Indian Lake to Inlet. It is so remote you have to sign in and sign out. I was signing out, my niece was sitting in the car with all our stuff. A guy was signing in and asked me if it ran. I was tempted to tell him no, we found it in the woods, tied a rope to it and dragged it 45 miles, but I didn't. On another trip, we were waiting for a Ferry to cross Lake Champlain, and got the same question while we were waiting for the Ferry to arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

This is my favorite brand of humor ... the ordinary in an out of
context place.

Some people are so "rocked" when presented with things that
just don't "compute" for them.

Funny stuff !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

After I graduated from college, I took a teaching job in Zenda, Kansas. With an income coming in, I felt flush enough to take my 32 roadster in for new paint and upholstery. After zipping around town for several days, as proud as can be, the lady who ran the hardware store took me aside to give me some motherly advise. She explained that being a teacher in the community, I had a responsibility in the community and shouldn't be seen driving an old car. That ruined my day, but I kept driving the car until my two boys got too big to ride in the car with my wife and I. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

I have to chime in. I have had this happen twice to me. It almost leaves me speechless. Both times it was a guy that saw me at the station getting gas. and said
"what model is that?".....i said, "It's a model T."
He said"Yes, but what model?"...I said"A Ford model T"
and with that one of those..."I THOUGHT SO!!"they said
Then I just shake my head and go on my way...In my 24 roadster pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

That's what I keep saying to you guys .... poisoning the minds of youth with
all this evil rusty junk ! Doubt me ? Just think back on how it happened to
YOU !

And you know what they say ... those who were victimized are 100x more
likely to victimize others !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

I had driven my '14 touring from Keene to east of Meredith (NH) for a Model T Snowmobile meet. The round trip distance is just shy of 200 miles.

Some one did ask The Question and I responded "Yes, I did drive it here; it's too hard to steer and push at the same time".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:31 am:

I used to get that a lot but I guess I've been driving mine too much. When I was filling it up one lady at the gas station remarked to her friend isn't that old car quaint? Her friend said yep he is a real friendly guy go over and ask him about it, and he will even let you sit in it if you want to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:01 am:

We had several people ask if we drove it there a coupe years ago after loading our Christmas tree on the car. I think surprise and enthusiasm people have sometimes clouds their judgement and I rather enjoy comments that may seem silly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Doug: If you ever get asked the question about real wood spokes again tell them "Yes, they come from the petrified forest"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:37 am:

It's amazing how many 1926 T's still have 30X3 1/2 wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Richard Eagle,

GREAT picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

The best question I have ever been asked is what year is it followed by did you buy it new I always answer yes. I look good for 120 years old

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

-Looking back for more chuckles-
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/461535.html?1407097935

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

We were driving on the Freeway in our right hand drive 1913 Cadillac and moving along at 55 miles an hour in heavy traffic. The Highway Patrol stopped us and I pulled over with Mary in the left front street wearing a duster, hat, and driving goggles. He asked her for her papers and said she was holding up traffic because everybody had to have a look-see and asked her to get off the Freeway at the next off-ramp. She said that she wasn't driving and he was confused then. By that time I had gotten out of the right front seat and had walked around behind the policeman who was talking to Mary. I tapped the big guy on the shoulder from behind to introduce myself as the driver and he was so surprised that he whipped out his service pistol. I too was dressed in a duster with a cap and goggles. Our three sons were also in period costume in the back seat. He must have never seen a right hand drive car.

I used to get stopped while driving with a five year old boy in the left front seat. We always had great fun. We have had six right hand drive cars and all of them presented issues with the law because of their lack of knowledge.

When drag racers used to take the front bumpers off of cars for better weight transfer it became the law to not remove the front bumper. We were stopped by an uninformed officer of the law who wrote fix-it tickets for no front bumper to every car on the tour and he just wouldn't listen to reason. The judge had a field day teaching that youngster a history lesson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Having worked in law enforcement and just being THAT GUY
when it comes to doing your damned job, my toleration for people
who do not know their job, and do it WRONG really chaps my ass.

When Microsoft came to my town in the 1980's, our sleepy, semi
backwater burg was instantly awash with snooty assclowns who
took offense to the oldtime yahoos plugging up THEIR streets with
icky old cars - how embarrassing, right ?

I was pulled over countless times for on-the-spot "safety inspections"
by the same dipweed officers for the same exact "concerns". One
time I ended up cuffed and hauled downtown over YOM plates. I had
been over this subject with the same officer a dozen times. Presented
him with the official DOL paperwork many of those times. I really tried
to play it right for them to get them off my back, but it was to no avail.

This time was the last straw, and I got an attorney. He hired a P-I and
came back with a story that seemed too easy to believe, yet hard to
swallow .... basically, the "Softers" had elected in their own to City Hall
and an unwritten directive was in place to harass any and all "undesirables"
out of town, and I had been enjoying every moment of their little plan
to cleanse the town of riff-raff.

A letter was presented to the City legal staff at a following Council
meeting and never again was I stopped for any reason. This, in contrast
to the 269 stops made during the previous three years.

In an earlier incident, I had one particular State Trooper hounding me
over and over about my DeSoto. An attorney was consulted for this too
and I was directed to ask for a court hearing, requesting the same judge
that heard my previous case for the same "offenses". I was to present
my papers showing that my headlights were in perfect working order and
my exhaust was well within legal standards. The attorney said that when
the case was tossed out, I was to stand up, get in the face of the citing
officer, and loudly state the following:

"Officer X, .... should I ever see you, any where, at any time, in any capacity
doing anything but waving as a friendly gesture with anything but a smile
on your face, I will sue you, your family, the State Patrol, and the Governor
himself for harassment. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME, SIR ?"

I was directed to stand firm until the officer acknowledged and to shake
his hand if he was professional enough to offer.

The case was tossed, the statement made. The officer did not offer his
hand, but did listen to me in front of the entire court and room full of citizens.

I was never pulled over by him or any other trooper again.

The attorney told me that should the courtroom situation not go as he
predicted, he would bail me out and represent me from that point forward
gratis. His crystal ball worked every bit as good at my DeSoto did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Officer Burger. You are a gentleman and one who has been on both sides of the coin. I learned years ago that it is correct to respect the uniform but perhaps not the one wearing it.

Years ago I was appointed to be the Dean of Instruction and Curriculum in a community College. On my first day on the job I had to rule against a popular student on our campus of 25,000 students. Later that day the college president who did not like me at all asked me to follow him into the men's restroom where I saw the words "F^(K Dean Harris" written on the wall. The president asked me what I thought of that and I told him that I was pleased to see that I had the person's respect because he called me Dean Harris and not just Harris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

The thing I hate most is whilst driving my 22 touring, folks coming along side saying, "nice car...what year is the Jeep?" :P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Martin, have you ever looked in your shaking, vibrating rear view mirror and gotten excited to see what looked like an upright grille flanked by round headlights and flat fenders, flat windshield and high soft top, only to be disappointed when a jeep passed you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Well, Mr. Harris ... thank you for referring to me as a gentleman.
I try to be respectful of all, but find my honesty often causes a
"hurt feeling" (or ten) with some of the more sensitive types. It
is not intentional to cause problems. I am just blunt and to the
point. The way I like others to talk to me. I do not like mealy-
mouthed wimps that won't talk straight with me.

I did not work well with all my fellow officers, as some were very
unprofessional and abused their power. It was a razor's edge
work environment and ultimately the absurd politics and game
playing caused me to question my own involvement and safety,
and I left. I would have had ANYONE'S back in a bad situation,
regardless of my personal feelings for the individual. I became
confident that others would purposely set up officers they had
a beef with, or not have their back. The job wasn't worth getting
killed for. It was a bitter pill to swallow. I really wanted it to be
a high integrity career, and it was REALLY hard to qualify. But I
had to walk away. I had mistakenly thought everyone else saw
the profession the way I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:36 am:

Jeff...actually, yes, I've had that experience. But at least the guy in the Jeep, knew I wasn't one. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:45 am:

More than once, I've heard people call a Model T "that old truck".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:26 am:

I find this thread amusing. Probably half a dozen times I was asked this year at a show "Does it run?.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:46 am:

" More than once, I've heard people call a Model T "that old truck"."

================================

I hear it all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Velarde on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 03:03 am:

I've been "clicking" on this discussion since it started. My addition as a comment is simple..
Thank you for the civility. You folks are top notch in my book. I have seen how this internet and blogging can be out right vulgar and a waste of time and I don't see it here. And with the most wealth of thank you that I have to offer I appreciate coming here to learn of others experiences. Lets talk cars and maybe once in a while introduce something other but that gets interrupted by talking about what's original. You guys are cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:37 am:

I get the "Truck" thing too. I get it with the Model A Town Sedan and the T Touring. What's even worse, I've had folks call my TT a car! Gimme a break. It's a stake bed! How could anyone not recognize that as a truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:12 am:

It's not just the general public. Three of us were returning from Vermont to Connecticut from a 4 day T tour. We stopped for the final time to fill up with gas, and the driver of the '14 touring said "it's funny how every time you two stop for gas, I need it too."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration