Spare tire carrier question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spare tire carrier question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

So, on a 1919-25 runabout with no starter and oil side lights ... is there a place for the oil Ford-O tail light on the rear spare tire carrier?

Anyone have a picture of a rear spare tire bracket with an oil tail light installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Not sure, but if you opted for no starter after 1919, chances are you also got non-demountable clinchers . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

My '23 has 30 x 3 1/2 rims and oil lights all around. It did not have a rear spare tire bracket, but I have purchased one to mount on the back. Would like to keep the oil tail lamp if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

The spare carrier has dimple mount with holes to bolt the oil tai lamp. Those holes on the far left. In photo a 24 electric lamp is mounted. But non electric got only the oil lamp

e

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:21 am:

Hey Dan, And there is room for the oil lamp in that spot? Seems like it would touch the tire. Those tire carriers tilt back quite a lot. Just curious if anyone has a T with an oil lamp in that type of bracket. The car came with a sheet metal bracket with the word Ford-O stamped in it. This was bolted onto the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:01 am:

As a matter of interest, the Canadian spare carriers have two dimple mounts for the oil tail lamp, left or right depending on which country the car was being exported to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:16 am:

I have a '22 with a oil lamp on the spare tire bracket. It is not correct for the car as it has a starter but it will fit. Someone obviously added the lamp. I have removed it and relocated the correct light but it is clear that the spare tire carrier was designed to work with either application of a tail lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Mark

Yes the oil lamp fits there. It will not hit the tire. Ford made the tire carrier bracket to fit either oil lamp and the license tag fits to the tire carrier. Or. The combo '24-'27 elec tail lamp and attached license plate holder bolted on the tire carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Mark, there is a special Ford-O bracket. It mounts to the left rear corner of the frame. There is a 25 and earlier version and also a special 26-27 version of the bracket. Now as to the placement of the oil light on a spare tire carrier I do not know. ????? It will fit as the dimples are there for it to fit. But the dimples are also on the back of the electric light. So it is unclear if the dimples on the spare tire carrier are there for the electric light only or were there for both styles of lights. If I remember to, I will post a photo of the Ford-O bracket this evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Dan,

Thanks so much for posting that. Answers my question. I do want to keep the oil lamp.

Donnie,

I do have the original stamped Ford-O bracket but since I'll be installing the rear tire carrier, there won't be room for it. That's why I was asking if the spare tire frame would hold an oil lamp.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration