1916 rear fender brackets-3 or 4 rivets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 rear fender brackets-3 or 4 rivets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:36 am:

The Vendor catalogues say front and rear 1916 fenders have 3 rivet brackets. I have 2 nice original 1916 fenders with 4 rivet brackets and the extra rivets which go through the side of the fender. Which do I use on my new reproduction fenders? Can someone share pictures of top and underside of front and rear fenders of a 1916 please? Thanks Warwick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Warwick,

I did some looking for photos of Canadian cars or for that matter USA cars that showed the fender bracket area. Most of the photos do not show that area.

Do you have access to Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford" book? It has some good photos of the top side of the fenders on pages 223-224. And even for the USA cars looking at what Bruce shared and what is in the Model T Ford Club International Judging Guidelines 6th edition there appears to be some disagreement. (Ok -- it is also early and I may just be reading it wrong.) The MTFCI 7th edition is available, and it specifically added information about the Canadian cars (not necessarily those sold in Australia but for a 1916 they should be similar.) I don't have a 7th edition yet, but I included it on my list to Mrs Santa that I really wanted a copy. They are available at: http://modeltfordclubinternationalinc.mysimplestore.com/products/judging-guideli nes-7th-edition as well as some of the vendors.

Recommend you clarify if you are mounting the fenders on a Canadian or USA produced car. Also on a touring or other style body.

In some cases Canada did things differently from the USA. I.e. a 1916 USA car would not normally have the ribbed transmission pedals while a Canadian 1916 would have them.

I also like Roger Gardner the author of "Ford Ahead" comment about Canadian cars shipped to New Zealand. He shared something to the effect that when Ford of Canada transitioned to a newer style part, it appears they used up the older parts on the cars they sent to the colonies.

I need to head to work, but I'll try to look again later.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:41 am:

On the roadster I am now working on, one side has a 3 rivet bracket and the other side has a 4 rivet bracket as you describe. Since it came to me in pieces, they could well have come from two different cars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration