Old Photo - "Good Roads" Paving The Open Highway

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - "Good Roads" Paving The Open Highway
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Cool pic. Look at how many workers! Wonder where this is. And if they forgot to pick up the "C" clamp laying on the dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

Jay, loving the "Good Roads" project!
This one is really different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

My TT was originally a cement truck owned by the State of Ohio Highway Department. It had a hopper on the back and was used to deliver concrete to job sites. I don't have the hopper set up and have not been able to find out what happened to it. I know some of the history of the truck, but the men that would know the whole story have passed on. I'm sorry that information is gone as I would love to hear the stories. My uncle found the truck about 40 years ago and I was able to rescue it from his family who had no interest whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Are they following the screed with tarps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:07 am:

Why, yes they are ! Rapid surface drying will cause cracking.
They let it get stiff enough to walk on and then cover it for a
few days. Wetting the tarp, or wetting the concrete before
covering it helps even more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 02:21 am:

Yes in the days before modern cure compounds, which is the white stuff they spray on the concrete, the use of tarps was common to control curing and is sometimes still used on structure concrete. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the man close to the camera second from the right with the V handled tool is cutting the weakened plane joints in the concrete.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration