Is this a hood ornament? Please help identify.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is this a hood ornament? Please help identify.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

My Model T partner found this on side of a building and salvaged it. Does anyone know what is is from?ornament?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

I think it's from the side of building. . . . .
c'mon, you were ASKING for it! :-)
Doubt that it's a hood ornament, but it is unusual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Looks sort of pre-war German. Was the building rented by skin-heads? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Looks like the top of a flag staff (would slide down into the pole) and the top hole could be used to hold award ribbons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Dennis, but what is that machined ball end for?
Also, the locating lug on the big piece should be a clue to something. I agree with Stephan, it does have a German military look to it, but that might not mean a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

you guys, it's an ironbird.....jeez!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Henry Ford's first prototype for the "Universal Car" trademark?? jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I think Dennis may be right. It probably is not for a car. I will research flag staff toppers and see what comes up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Wood stove, you turn the piece at the top to open or close the draft or am I just daft! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Definatly hood ornament ! Ball on bottom is for latching hood ! Its a RAT ROD hood ornament!
Or not

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

My Dad had a Third Reich Evunculator just like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

I'm not going ask; Hey, let's get Mikey to ask Burger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

The hole would have a chain or hook to pull on and the ball would be engaged in something. The wings would have had a spring inside the tube and when the top section was pulled the wings could be rotated then dropped into place with the lug in place.

Beyond that I have no clue but it is safe to call it an "on-off" switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

To be more clear; when the top was pulled up the wings could be lifted and turned then released and let down to lock in place.

I don't think automotive and not a pressure system...possibly heating?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration