My TT is the snow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My TT is the snow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Had Stanley out in the snow for a while today. It was 17 degrees here today. I was curious how he would start at this temperature after sitting for over a week. I pulled the choke out hit the starter and he turned over about twice and was running. Not bad for 93!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

That's a GREAT looking truck Steve. I want one just like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Very nice. Hope to drive mine in snow next year. Rodster pickup hasnt been out in snow because it was 7 degrees today after snow this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Neat photo! Kinda glad we don't live back in the day where we HAD to travel in the winter snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Verne...me too! Nice part of being re-tarred. Can pick and choose when to go out. Plus now this horrible cold tears up my bad back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Nice truck Steve! I wondered the same thing last winter. Started right up at 20*. Went to the dump. They get around pretty good in the snow. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Hi Steve, nice truck, I have one like it in pieces, your truck bed looks like one I would like to build do you have any plans for it? Thanks Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:14 am:

I'm a kinda newbe with Model T's Is there a big difference between a TT and a T? Is it a stronger frame? Different gears in the rear? Are they a bit slower than a touring car? I like the way they look especially with the wood bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Others will chime in with more info, but the TT has a heftier frame, a worm drive rear end and a bone shaking 20mph top speed as geared from the factory. They are poplar to accessorize with additional transmissions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Thanks!! Wow 20Mph!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

TT's are THE ONLY kind of T to drive ! :-)

As Founder of the TT Snob Society, I will tell you we TT owners are
DONE with the fourth class rating we've had imposed upon us by the
high falootin' boring old T guys since the earliest days of the T hobby,
and the next 60 years will be spent mocking those silly people with their
lightweight T cars !!!

================================

Seriously, the TT came in a number of optional build types, some geared
very low for farm type work or heavy hauling, others geared high for lighter
delivery.

From 1919 to 1922, all were sold as bare chassis and custom bodied to
suit the user. The factory C-cab was introduced in 1923, the box cab in
1924. Both were optional until the end of T production in 1927.

TT's could have light or heavy wheels of 23 or 20 inch diameter in back.
A much heavier frame and rear springing were standard to all. Frames were
often lengthened to suit the job.

Stock low geared rear end trucks did operate at a top speed close to 20,
while the high speed gear set got one up to around 30. Auxiliary transmissions
could be installed to bring ratios down even further, or higher, when used as
an overdrive. It has always been these speed limitations that have kept TT
interest low. That, and most T guys just don't have what it takes to be a TT
kind of guy.

It has been my experience that the lack of factory engine balancing is even
more limiting to the top speed range of the TT than the gearing. The poor
old dog wants to shake itself apart as one climbs above 15mph. A well balanced
machine with high speed rear gears and an overdrive should theoretically
allow a TT to keep up with all but the highest qualifiers at the Montana 500,
and do so with far more class and hauling capacity. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Robert, my TT has a Ruckstell two speed with high speed gears. It will run along at 33 mph easy. The differential is big strong and heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Pat,

Is 33 a smooth cruising speed ? Top end ? Is your engine/trans balanced ? How
does it do for keeping speed on hills ? Have you done any performance mods ....
carb, head, cam ?

I am curious how mine will do when the rebuild is finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Burger and Pat . Please believe me no snubbing intended. I love the trucks and all T's When I show up at car shows with my Imperial people always ask me... Why did you restore that? Don't you want a muscle car. Nope I like my 5000 pound Block of steel. I love all cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

RG ~

I have a 58 DeSoto Fireflite convertible. You have no idea how
many times the 300 guys have suggested I part it out and build a
300 !

Why ? So I could have just one more of those cars that everyone
else has ? Hey, I like a 300 just as much as the next finned Mopar
guy, but the people who own them seem to all have graduated (with
honors) from the Douchebag Institute. I have been told the Corvette
crowd is the worst.

Thanks, .... I'll eat mine here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Burger, it's a pretty smooth ride. It's all stock except it has a Bosch 600 distributor. I've had it up around 40 mph but after a few miles the Motometer starts to rise. A good long highway hill will pull it down to around 20 mph. On my test hill, a very steep mile long pull I have to put the Ruckstell in low. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I like pulling into a cruse night and people look and say.... "What is that?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

I just like going down the road and people say that. The smiles
it puts on the faces of those interested in such things is the best
part of having one. :-)

Good intel, Pat. Mine should scoot along pretty good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration