How Are MTFCA and the Museum Related?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How Are MTFCA and the Museum Related?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

If you open the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) website, be prepared to have your computer belch smoke. The AACA and the AACA Museum, which most AACA members thought were formally affiliated, aren't. Although merger discussions between the boards of the two organizations have been going on quietly for several years, it appears the discussions have failed. Some AACA members are non-trivially annoyed, especially those who have donated cars to the museum and are discovering that they could be sold off without benefit to the club.

I'm an AACA member but, it turns out, not a museum member. I've never donated separately to the museum, although some of my club dues have supported the museum in the past and will no longer do so. I don't have a personal stake in this dispute, but I am curious: How are the MTFCA and the Model T Museum related organizationally? And could the same dispute erupt here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

More background can be found here: https://blog.hemmings.com/?p=769712

And yes, do tell. This seems like it'll be a teachable moment for all clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

The website doesn't spell out the relationship between the Model T Museum and the MTFCA, but the executive director's address and fax number are the Museum's address and fax number. Maybe Susan can post some details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

The MTFCA owns the MTFCA Museum. All members are admitted free of charge as a benefit of membership in the MTFCA, it's your Museum! The MTFCA Board of Directors overseeing both Club and Museum operations.

(Message edited by Mike Vaughn on December 15, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 05:09 am:

Thank you Mike V!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:20 am:

This AACA dispute really makes me wonder about "humankind"....

All the bickering going on in the world, and two organizations with similar goals can't combine their resources and make ONE great community.

No wonder there are wars...more "power and control" rearing it's ugly head.

Cannot peace begin soon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:29 am:

I doubt it Dave. There's one word to describe your "power and control" analogy, GREED.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:36 am:

It is human nature. Any group of people who are passionate about something have opportunity to feud over what is best. Heck, there were even people who got mad and left the church I used to go to. };O(=

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Rich, Your posting reminds me of the boat that spots smoke from a "deserted" island. They send a boat out and find three huts and a guy standing outside one. "Gather everyone around, we're here to rescue you!" they holler.
"Everyone??? I'm the only one here!"
"Then why the three huts?"
"This one is my house, that one is my church."
"Oh, so I suppose the third one is your store?"
"Store? I'm the only one here, why would I need a store? No, that's the church I used to go to!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

It was asked above: "Cannot peace begin soon ?"

I used to wonder the same thing, .... when I was 5-15 or so. As my interest in
history and psychology took me deeper into books, it became clear that the
one fatal flaw to this notion is that humans are always part of the equation, and
as long as you put people in the soup, you are going to have a boil over at some
point. It is just human nature. Some people are hard driven to be power grabbers
and troublemakers for the rest.

On the flip side, there are those of us that never get past thinking that
is a viable question and remain deluded that peace is actually possible. Hmmm ....

As we only have the power to keep our own side of the street clean, are we not
setting ourselves up for anguish by not adjusting our own paradigm to the reality
that actually exists ?

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. Be forever vigilant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks Mike! Without rehashing all the past, this makes it appear even more important that the club maintain its tax status so that the museum and club can remain one. This is the reason that the aaca club and museum were split to begin with and I imagine that the same scenario could happen in reverse.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration