Old Photo - Val Field Airmail Hand Off

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Val Field Airmail Hand Off
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Nice shot of a Douglas M-2 but it always strikes me as weird to see something sold as a mail plane just having the packages thrown down into the open front cockpit like that. Nowadays packages are flown around up my way in Beech Barons for the short trips, with each town's load bagged and tossed on the back seat.

I also like the airplane painted on the side panel of the truck. Looks like a Ryan; either the Spirit of St. Louis or possibly a Brougham, it's hard to see where the windshield either is or isn't in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:00 am:

I dont know where you find them Jay but keep em coming. Great stuff!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:35 am:

The truck interest me as it look's like a rack built for hauling livestock?? Could it be there is truth behind [When Pig's Fly] ? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Must be a box truck as letter would fall through the slats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Or the slats are intended for people to slide their mail IN ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

I like Bud's idea. Multi-tasking truck. Maybe this is where the modern term "box truck" got its start? Just hope they clean up after a livestock haul prior to a mail trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

The truck is lighter with the slats and can carry a larger load. The airplane has a windshield so it's not Lindey's plane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

American Railway Express Co. was formed about World War I from a number of predecessor express companies. ARECo became Railway Express Agency in 1929, and was owned, but seperately operated, by 86 railroad companies including the ACL and SAL. It went out of business in November 1975, by which time only 10% of it's traffic went by rail, the rest was by truck or plane. ARECo/REA were in the package express business, similar to current day UPS or FedEx. Generally, ARECo/REA packages were shipped by passenger train which is the reason there were "baggage" cars lettered for the express company. There were also combination cars which were part express, part railway post office and part luggage, or any combination of those. Since both ACL and SAL, as well as Florida East Coast, carried Railway Express parcels, you can model REA cars for any of those RRs.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I have seen the Railway Express cars at Boston's South Station. South Station was used by the Boston & Albany (New York Central) and the New Haven. I know that the NYC carried Railway Express cars, I'm not sure about the New Haven. BTW: By the end, REA's service was terrible. They deserved to go out of business in my opinion.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration