I'd give An Arm And A Leg For This Setup :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I'd give An Arm And A Leg For This Setup :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Alot of people have but thats the safe model.
No belt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Boy, technology has come a long way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FquL0GG9RGI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:28 am:

If you want to talke to the owner of this rig, you can.

Just ask for "Lefty".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:31 am:

I thought that belonged to Ilene?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:34 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5KlNiZZNbI
Cutting firewood is one of the things I believe in modern equipment for. He's one of my hot-rodded 80cc Dolmar saws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:43 am:

That is how tough whiskers were cut back in the day.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Agree Ed, even the pros get hurt after years of using and falling trees with good equipment.
Log trucks, chip trucks and other equipment are all over my area making my T a hazard going to slow for them to pass and make there deadline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Besides being built on the cheap the saw blade is a Rip saw instead of a buzz saw!! Providing it was ever ran it might have made a lot of excitement/excreatment when the saw grabbed the wood!!!!!! Do it right or leave it alone!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

You got that one right Bud.
My dad had fifty stitches in one wrist from a buzz saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Seeing one of these work, I would love to have one for cutting
my firewood. That said, I would want it in fine operating order
and the carriage set to work well with hands well away from that
killer blade !

These things were all over the woods in the area where I grew
up. The place is long gone in urban sprawl, so I am confident the
yuppies hauled it all off as ugly old icky stuff. Otherwise, I'd go
back and see what could be fixed up and used again. There has
to be a good science to building a nice one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 03:51 am:

Jay.. I hope you don't give a arm and a leg like my uncle gave a thumb and a finger to one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:36 am:

I got one of those saws and pull it with a 12 hp wittie hit and miss engine, Neighbor brought a M farmall over and a 6 ft belt so I could saw faster,that tractor couldn't cut a 6 inch log without pulling down. I said lets give the old wittie another chance, I put a 40 foot belt on the saw and the men got a 10 inch log that took 4 men to put it on the table. we are going to kill that wittie. That engine has 2 fly wheels 2 inches wide and 4 foot in diameter. I give my brother in law a pump oil can full of gas and said keep plenty of gas in the intake of the carburetor they leaned on that log to try to stall the engine but they did't get it done. They took the tractor and went home mad. Old timers know a long belt has more momentum and gives you more power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:21 am:

A long belt tensions itself due to it trying to sag in the middle under its own weight. They don't slip like a short one will. Long belts are also a lot more forgiving of misalignment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:09 am:

A good sharp 30" buzz saw blade should cut a 10" log in less than a second or two with good power running it!! If one is trying to stall/stop a saw blade by pinching it,that's when bad things can happen.When running a saw the saw speed is important!! Depending on how one call's it the M Farmall had 36 or 40 hp on the belt so it might not even hit the govener with a 6" log!! Fly wheels are good with under powered engines! Over 55 years,i have sawed with a JD A International A,200,H,M,SuperC,and a couple of F-20"s!! The fact is people with no experience may read some of this and who knows???? Bee Safe or Leave The Saw In The Fence Row!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:22 am:

When i was a kid in early 80s I helped the Amish neihbor at harvest time. Well all year cause it was so much fun but standing on a wagon stacked about 8 ft high with shocked oats that sloped in every direction looking down into the threshing machine banging away and a 30 foot belt bouncing about was about as dangerouse as it gets. They used a case brass radiator power unit on steel to power it. Thats back when Amish were Amish. Now they use reapers with gas motors and round bailers for hay. They all have skid steers and cant farm with out them. Ah ! The good old days back in the 80s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

We always had a John Deere around from as far back as I can remember (A, B, H, and an M with a PTO flat belt adapter), and had a cordwood saw that would bolt to the front of the narrow front tractors and run by belt off the clutch pulley...much like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9qEOj6kr1A
With three guys and a sharp saw we could cut a lot of firewood in a day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

In the 60s a buddy and I found a TT way back in the woods that was used to cut fire wood. There was a belt on one jacked up solid tire driving the saw blade. The elderly owner had cut wood until he could no longer crank the engine. We bought the truck for $20. The owner said it wouldn't run which of course became a challenge. We managed to drive it out of sight then loaded it on a trailer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration