Could This, Just Possibly, Be a Scam?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Could This, Just Possibly, Be a Scam?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

I have a Stanley Steamer advertised for sale in the HCCA classifieds. I've had the following correspondence in the last couple of days. I don't think I'll hold my breath until this deal is consummated!

Subject: 1911 Stanley Model 63 12/15/16

Hello Seller,
I saw your post concerning 1911 Stanley Model 63 for sale which price is $98,000 and i'm seem to be most interested in buying it.However,can I have a few pics sent to me via email ? Hope payment with Certified Cashier Cheque is acceptable from U.s.a bank...
Await to read from you,

John

Re: 1911 Stanley Model 63 12/15/16

Pictures were included with the ad.

Subject: Detail for the payment 12/15/16

Hello,
Thanks for the mail i saw the picture I do appreciate it..However we can proceed with the sale by providing your details such as name that cheque will be payable to,mailing address,cell phone number in order for the cheque payment to be issue and deliver via USPS mail service respectively..
Await to read from you,
Regards
John

Re: Detail for the payment 12/16/16

Hello, John!

Yes, of course I’ll accept a Certified Cashier Cheque on an American bank! But I want to know my wonderful Stanley’s new owner will take good care of it. The front cylinder on early Stanleys generates interference with the flux capacitor of the magneto. It must be charged with a 120-volt degausser, or the boiler will leak. European degaussers only work on 240 volts. I can send you my dual-voltage degausser for an extra $2,250. Do you want it? By the way, can you arrange shipping? I've never sent a Stanley overseas before.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas!

Re: Detail for the payment 12/16/16

Yes am okay with your arrangement, Thanks very much with the honest you have toward this transaction, All i need now is your full details for the check payment, As i sad before on my last mail just send your full details so that you can receive your payment next weekend. Act faster.

John

(To Be Continued? I'm acting as fast as I can!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Scam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Tell him it only operates on American water and you can include a few barrels for a couple of thousand more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Jeez Gil, I took your check!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilf Bradbury on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Gil
You should tell him that the spring on the windup water pump is a little weak, but will run for an hour on a single wind!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Gilbert,

Every time you reply it is seen as an positive response - you are not engaging in a battle of wits - you are increasing the likelihood you will be targeted in the future.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

BIG Scam.... no checks what so ever.. wire tranfer only and hold it for 45 days. set up a separate account for this transaction is not part of your normal accounts. International cks will take at least 30 days to clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Wow a Flux Capacitor on a Stanley? Can you post a picture? I have only seen this on "Back to the Future". Can you include a picture of the Degausser too?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

don't forget to tell him that this Stanley Steamer come with a acc. hose so you can clean you rugs!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

I agree with Jim - every time you reply, you run the risk of providing another snippet of information that can be assembled over time with other snippets to compile useful information that can eventually be used against you.

Cut off contact immediately, without explanation. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on December 16, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

That check will NEVER clear. Take the best advice you've been given here and break off contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Gil generously provided a flux capacitor for the T I bought from him. It works great ! Gas buggies don't need the degausser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Guys, I never really thought this was anything more than a scam. I did, however, wonder why he was so eager to send me a check before I sent him the car. What does he get from sending me a phony check for which he gets no merchandise? Maybe the next stage would have been to suggest sending the check for an extra 20 grand, which I could send to his bank. Anyway, I thought I'd have a bit of fun. But thanks for the advice to break off all contact. I shall do so.

Anybody need a 120-volt degausser?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

I used to collect the checks I got from these scammers and just leave them laying around my desk. When clients would come to the home office, I'd have thousands in seemingly valid uncashed checks just laying around. Oh, those? I'd say, I'll get around to cashing them someday. If clients think you don't need the money, they won't question your fees.

Of course, they are all bogus.

After I got the checks Fed/Ex's to the house and the "buyers" wanted to know about picking the item up, I'd inform them that I was contacted by the U.S. Secret Service (they are the ones responsible for securing US Currency) and that everything was turned over to them for their investigation. The emails stopped coming.

Have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

He needs to know that your accountant has told you that a check is not acceptable because of tax reasons thus you will need crash in small US currency with nothing bigger than $20.00.
Once the cask is received you will be happy to pack the vehicle in a shipping container with the flux thingy and conversion equipment for an additional $3,239.00 otherwise you will have to charge him an additional $23.000 to cover the costs of sending it overseas and he will have to arrange to have the vehicle picked up and shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Anybody need a 120-volt degausser?

Gil
We need one for our 1911 model 62 Stanley!! Blew the last one up.....

Here's a link to our Stanley website http://steamcrazy.com/

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Although I agree with those who think it's a scam, I would tell the buyer that I will accept cash; checks will require 120 days to clear before the car is shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:51 am:

Laugh all you like! I actually have a 120 volt degausser (degaussing coil). It was my dad's. He did television repair work about the time I was born. It was one of the ones he used repairing television sets. Early TV sets were susceptible to internal magnetic interference upsetting the cathode ray tube gun.

The question of "why" send bad checks. I don't know of any bad deals going on to completion. But I had some talks with my banker a few years ago when one of my accounts became compromised. I had to recover monies stolen from me. Some of what I found out should scare you.
If you accept a check, deposit that check, and the banks (all three or four of them that will have to clear it) declare it good and pass it along, you think you are safe and send the car off into the night to its new owner (you think). If that check is in any way a counterfeit, a forgery, non authorized signature, restricted account? The owner/administrator of the account has at least 90 days to refuse it and send it back. Some circumstances can extend the 90 days to six months, or even a year to turn the check back through the various clearing houses. The time it takes to go through those clearing houses is slow. It is a failure, it must be examined closely, and by everyone that thinks he should be involved. All the "i"s must be properly dotted, all the "T"s perfectly crossed. That check that cleared halfway around the world in only a week, might take two months to get back to you.
Six months after you thought the car was sold and paid for and gone, checks cleared, money spent? The bank calls. They want their $100,000 back, today. And believe me, somewhere in all that bank's paper with fine print all over it, there is a statement that you agreed to that says that you will return any such monies so compromised.
Real or counterfeit checks connected to large accounts are often used for such activity. Such checks usually pass cursory examinations and contact inquiries. It often takes a couple months or more for the check to find its way back to its accounting or oversight department where its discrepancy can be found.

I have heard of several people receiving the bogus check. But unable to complete shipping details never lost the car (or cashed the check). That could however be a goal for the scammer. Buy the car, ship it quickly, and sell it before the check bounces back.
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Visa or Mastercard.

The transaction and payment can be made immediately, the seller is protected, and so is the buyer if the seller misrepresents. Disputes usually fall in favor of the buyer.

Occasionally on the classifieds, I see where an item is sold, pending payment, then is back on the market.

Visa or Mastercard, yes, has a cost to the seller, but the expediting of the transaction, the certainty of the sale, and the certainty of being paid for the product greatly outweighs the cost.

Using, and accepting, a Visa or Mastercard means both parties want the transaction and the merchandise is as represented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Hmmmmmm...

I'd think long and hard about using a CC. Doesn't the buyer have the right to dispute the CC transaction? Kinda like using Paypal or buying something on eBay. You get a third party involved and they immediately hold o seize your funds pending their "investigation".

The OP is being scammed. He can play along or cut it short as he sees fit. But he's not going to salvage a "sale" by dealing with this scammer.

Another tip to insure that this is a scam is that the emails you receive from the scammer will change their email address as they go from account to account. And, at some point in time they will reference a different name or item to be purchased as they are just cut and pasting from a master file and sending these email out by the hundreds. All it takes is one sucker to play along and it's a years income for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Yes, the buyer has the right, within a specified time frame, to dispute not the transaction, but the merchandise itself.

If the seller is shipping the precise product he's advertising, and has advertised it honestly, and the product arrives to the buyer undamaged, the seller will get paid, and will most likely prevail in a dispute.

The seller is further protected if in his ad for the merchandise, and/or an e-mail exchange with the buyer, that the sale is final, not subject to any return or refund.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration