Old Photo - Model T Era - Phone Company Setting Poles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Phone Company Setting Poles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:39 am:

That is very cool Jay. Never seen that machine. Is it an auger? Thanks for sharing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Looks like the Los Angeles City seal on the RPU.

LA City

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

I think that is the earliest motor-powered vertical auger I have ever seen (photo or live). I have seen steam powered horizontal augers used to dig tunnels for mines and trains as far back as the 1870s. And I have dug those post holes and tower base holes. Both powered, and the good old fashion way of by hand. I still have the ten foot "spade" and "spoon" to do it with. I have had them with the tips of the handles at the top of the hole. An all-day job in good clay soil.

Then again. My dad lost one eye when he was helping to set a tower base in a rocky area. They had gotten a damaged fuse, and did not know it. The blaster had set the dynamite, lit the sixty second fuse, and they were walking away, when someone said "it doesn't sound right". They turned to look, just as the sixty second fuse went off in under ten seconds. So there are things worse than spending an entire day digging a ten foot deep hole in good clay soil.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Not sure that is Los Angeles City seal on the T.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Another great work photo.

When I enlarged the picture (gets fuzzy) but it looks like several telephone poles in a row with lettering on the truck door seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

I am failing to see how this has been determined to be pole setting work.
Any poles in the photo are unrelated, the seal on the truck looks like no
known Telco logo I am aware of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:13 am:

Found it on the Water and Power Associates website. From the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light, which became the LA Dept. of Water and Power in 1937.

power and light

Their description as pole setting equipment, for what it's worth (it's on the internet, it must be true).

The website has a bunch of old pics of crews working and vehicles including a few T's. A lot of nightmares for the OSHA inspector.

http://waterandpower.org/museum/Early_Power_Distribution.html

Neat stuff.
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:52 am:

Brian, That's an interesting site. I enjoyed it. What is with the washing of insulators? I could guess to remove an accumulation of conductive dirt and grit? I never heard of such. Ideas? Burger?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Yes, .... in areas where dust can build up and then be moistened by fog,
especially salty fog off the ocean, will cause BIG flashovers on high tension
lines. LA was a pioneer area for this kind of preventive work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration