The Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:12 am:

So being a newbie and only having my T since August, I'm really appreciative of the help I've been receiving on this forum. Thanks to all and Happy Holidays! My question today is does anyone know how to bookmark any of these threads in order to help one find the information they may need later? Reading this forum makes me realize how little I know and I can't remember everything I've been reading on these threads. Thanks again all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:34 am:

After you open a page you should be able to click on "Bookmarks". In the drop down click save this page. Then when the next screen opens save to your list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 11:53 am:

If you have a machine running Windows, just display the page of interest, and momentarily hold down the CTRL and D keys simultaneously. A box will appear that will allow you to change the name of the bookmark if you wish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Thanks Mark and Mark, will start with saving this so I remember how to do it for other threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

For Apple users it's about the same: Command D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Also can depend on what you use for a browser. I use Firefox. It was patterned after a very popular browser alternative to Internet Explorer, can't forget the name. Ahh, it was called Netscape. Anyway, it died and F.F. replaced it, but had pretty much all the same menu items at the top tool tray. Bookmarks being one of 'em. Just click that word, click "bookmark this page" and then you can choose a couple different files to put it in. I always go with "bookmarks toolbar folder", it starts out saving them in a toolbar at the top of the page for quick reference of bookmarks/sites you go to frequently. Hope I didn't confuse ya! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Another idea for your own specific 'T Library'....
Having a Yahoo email account, I've composed a new message (with having an appropriate Subject-ID), then copied the thread address (from the computer's 'address bar') to paste into that 'message'. Multiple 'thread addresses' and specifics can be added or inserted prior/after those previously saved. (The info can be kept as a 'draft', 'archived', even 'sent' to yourself (then "FW" to add.) Your choice. I use the 'draft' section and can easily observe the message title to then search the saved 'threads' within for its hopefully specific info. Any incomplete/incorrect/'not best for me' can be erased with your backspace key.
Since it is being stored 'in the Cloud', no computer memory is used, and info is readily accessible, whenever/wherever I log in to my account! I'm not familiar with other type email accounts, but there might be a similar process available?
(From the "Whatever Its Worth Dept.")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Tom: I frequently copy and save items specific to my car. Sometimes finding that obscure item in a large bookmarked file takes more time than looking up that one critical thing in my model t library on my laptop, it does for me at least. I also save pics and note details to supplement the MTFCA restoration booklets. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Tom,

There are lots of ways to do things. For folks that like to keep track of what has been posted, I have found that copying the thread and the thread's address and pasting it into a document works well for me. I also sometimes save the photos as photos but usually I just past them into the Word document so I can add some comments on what I need to see in the photo. That way when things that I am interested in are no longer posted on the forum or other location, I can still review them and send or post the information to someone who wants it.

Some examples of potentially lost information if I had not saved it:

The Model T Ford Club International recently stopped funding their forum. And a book mark to one of their forum threads will no longer work.

If you look at our MTFCA forum listing you will notice there are a few years missing. There was a forum crash that took out the 2003-2004 plus a few months on either side. Things happen. (See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/3205.html?1116171578 )

And of course many sites such as e-bay; Model T Haven etc. sometimes have some great photos of Ts and T parts etc. But those photos do not stay posted very long. The item sells and a new item replaces it.

Even the museums and archives change their web sites to keep people interested in what they may find. For example the link
http://www.henryfordestate.org/mfmodelt.htm used to bring up a front shot, interior shot, and information about Henry Ford's personal 1920ish coupe. It no longer brings that information up. That has been replaced with some newer information that I did not save because it does not directly relate to the Ts and the areas I am interested in. But I have the info on his coupe that was posted.

We can't save everything -- but if you really want to be able to go back to it, I would recommend that you copy it and paste it into something you can bring back up. And I would recommend including the link to where you found it. Sometimes I go back to them and find that others have added additional information after I had last made a save. Then I can update my info. And of course if you want to be able to find it again on your own computer, you need to have a filing system that works for you, or you will have the information but it will take longer to find it. And yes, backing up your files is also important. And so is working or driving the T.

Good luck with your T and your saving information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I just had another thought, a very inexpensive and simple way of saving T-related things such as these posts would be to just "send" them to a flash-drive plugged into one of your USB ports. When you're on a page you want to keep, just go up to "File" and click on "save as" and designate it to go to the flash drive stick. It's usually indicated by a name given something like "removable device" or such. Often it's referred to as "drive F", or possibly some other letter, usually beyond drive C. Just a thought. That way you have your entire "Model T Library" in one convenient spot. And if and when your computer dies, you'll still have the info!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I take the dummies way. Copy and paste then send it in an email to yourself. You can then access from ANY computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Steve, I can make it even "dummer" for ya! Just go to "file" and click on "email link". Add your name of course in the "to" box and your done.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration