A bit snake oil goes way south

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A bit snake oil goes way south
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

The USA has never had a monopoly on miraculous nostrums with extravagant claims, but has certainly been a leading purveyor to the rest of the world.

If you're running your T on kerosene or naphtha, just put a few tablets in your tank and you'll get rid of carbon deposits and save oil. A box costing 4 pesos will save you 120 liters of naphtha worth 30 pesos.

It's the most important discovery of the century for owners of automobiles, trucks, motor boats, motorcycles, tractors, and all types of motors. It will give you perfect combustion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

It's all about the salesmanship. Folks buy stuff like Evans coolant for example. You just can't underestimate the power of hucksterism!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Evans coolant works! It is environmentally safe, NON-Toxic, saves your engine and prevents hose damage. Saves money and time. It might run at a higher temp but it won't boil over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

The only way you know your engine is hot is if it boils over. No thanks I'll stick to water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

I fail to see how a coolant that "might run at a higher temp but wo't boil over" is a good thing. If your engine overheats and cooks itself when the coolant gets above 250 degrees, it will still overheat and cook itself above that temperature whether the coolant is boiling or not. Just because the coolant is not boiling at 350 degrees does not mean your engine is ok running at that temperature.

Now, if you have an engine that is designed to tun at such high temperatures (such as the new diesels said to be doing down the road), then a higher boiling point is a good and needed thing for your coolant. If, on the other hand your liquid cooled international combustion engine was made between the dawn of such things and today, a coolant that merely boils at a higher temperature is not really needed nor really helpful.

Jason Midyette

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Evans coolant has been proven to be a very bad thing for any engine that you care about. Typically the cylinder head temperature is going to be 100 - 150 degrees F higher than it would be with a 50 / 50 mix of green anti freeze and water.

It is simple really, Evans coolant does not transmit heat, or store heat, very well at all. How anyone falls for this is a mystery to me. Plus the cost is insanity defined. To convert the average car it costs you several hundred dollars, and that does not include engine disassembly or cleaning labor hours.

Then there is the cost to repair the engine damage. Evans coolant is very bad for aluminum. You will have hot spots that ultimately lead to cracks and failure of engine components.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

The water boiling in your radiator is not the problem, because the temperature of the boiling water will not harm anything in your engine. The problem is that your water boils out and the temperature rises until your engine is damaged.The Evens coolant might run at a higher temp but it won't boil out so your engine will never get hot enough to be damaged.

If it's good enough for Jay Leno It's good enough for me or if Royce says don't use it, then don't use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Those in the know will continue to use Evans Coolant and appreciate its positive benefits...... negativity and false, biased information will continue... such is life.

Have to decide for yourself what is to used in YOUR car.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Here is a review of just how bad it is:

http://no-rosion.com/evanstest.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

So "Arnold" are you related to Frank Howard or do you two just use the exact same words?

Your post is a word for word match of a review of Evans coolant posted on Amazon back on September 28, 2009.

Seems a touch bit fishy to me. I have no experience one way or the other with said product, but the sales tactics seem to rank right up there with the magic fuel talents that started this thread!

Jason Midyette

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:58 am:

I don't know who Frank Howard is but I did hear something about ,"If it's good enough for Jay Leno It's good enough for me". I never heard of Evens coolant in 2009 and in fact I had no interest in model T's at that time. How long has the product been available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 06:14 am:

I put MMO in my radiator...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Where's the test comparisons between the original water coolant that Ford supplied and Evans Coolant ????

A comparison between a company that touts it's additive against any other chemical/system will be biased. No-Rosion ? never heard tell of it.

Going to argue with Mother Nature ?.... she supplied the water. LOL

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:25 am:

I would not use No Rosion either. It does not protect the engine against freezing. Again I fail to see any use for that product.

The comparison on the No Rosion site is similar to what straight water would do in terms of cooling. Very simply, Evans product is a complete sham. Your engine is overheating and your temp gauge won't show it. The Evans product does not conduct heat well enough for the temp gauge to give any meaningful information.

It is a great example of how otherwise rational people are hoodwinked easily. It just takes the right carney to suck them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Making negative claims about a product without having any factual information is becoming an ongoing practice by some posters on this forum.

e-timer
ECCT
Evens coolant
No Rosion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:58 am:

OK. So how about some positive claims. Like from the manufacturer.. Just what is this stuff supposed to be good for? What are the maker's claims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnold on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Some positive claims !(requested by Charlie)

About the E-Timer

The E-Timer is an Electronic Timer for the Model T housed in reproduction Ford timer case. It uses the original coils and original wiring without any modifications to the car or wiring. The coils still vibrate and buzz providing the sound and appearance of stock operation but performance is remarkably improved. Ignition timing is manually controlled by the spark lever as usual or can be set to provide Automatic Timing Advance (ATA) that frees the driver from the burden of continually adjusting the spark lever for optimal power as engine speed changes. Enjoy smooth, efficient engine performance regardless of engine RPM in ATA mode without touching the spark lever. Best of all, the E-Timer uses modern non-contact Hall Sensors to precisely detect CAM position so it is completely maintenance free. Imagine never having to clean, lubricate or replace the timer ever again. The coil points are bypassed with tiny fuse jumpers so you will never have to replace or adjust coil points ever again either.

The E-Timer was specifically designed to eliminate the hassle associated with getting and keeping the original Model T ignition system functioning properly without sacrificing the appearance of originality as distributor conversions do. It eliminates the special knowledge, skills and expensive tools needed to install, align and maintain the original ignition system. For example, the E-Timer eliminates the highly critical coil points alignment, points wear, periodic adjustment, points replacement and condenser replacement yet guarantees a hot spark precisely timed every time without concern of double sparking. Simple battery operation eliminates all magneto variables and ignition timing restrictions. There are no timer contacts to adjust, wear out or replace and no more messy timer maintenance every 500 miles.

Proven Reliability

The E-Timer has been thoroughly beta tested and has logged well over 100,000 cumulative miles in 7 countries. User performance feed back has been outstanding with 99% customer satisfaction. E-mail us your E-Timer performance feedback along with a photo and we may add it to the growing list of E-Timer user testimonials.
------------------------------------------------------------------
No-Rosion Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitor

Originally developed for high-end boilers and cooling towers in the field of industrial water treatment, No-Rosion is a powerful, industrial-grade automotive cooling system corrosion inhibitor that stabilizes coolant pH, and protects all six metals most commonly found in cooling systems from corrosion and electrolysis - including aluminum.

Dissolved oxygen in coolant functions as a catalyst that drives oxidation of metals in a cooling system. No-Rosion contains oxygen scavengers that chemically remove dissolved oxygen from coolant, thus preventing this type of damage.

Polymer dispersants in No-Rosion prevent hardness in water, and inhibitors in antifreeze, from dropping out of solution to form gels. These insoluble materials adhere to surfaces inside a cooling system to form scales and deposits that cause overheating. These polymers also provide lubricity to the water pumps. For this reason, it is not necessary to use a water pump lubricant when No-Rosion is in a cooling system.

For heavy duty/diesel applications, No-Rosion contains nitrite, which prevents cavitation erosion of wet-sleeve cylinder liners.

Proper use of No-Rosion extends coolant life to five years. This reduces the frequency of draining and flushing toxic used coolant. Not only does this save you time and money, it also protects the environment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Another positive claim...requested by Charlie:

http://www.evanscoolant.com/.

Read their facts & decide for yourself

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

I think I have watched this forum long enough to know that if R---e is going one way, I am going the other.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration