More power

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: More power
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

I would like more power in my model t it's been bored to .040 over. Thinking about having it bored to .060 with a 280 cam how much more hp would that give me or would it be worth while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Please don't bore the block for just this reason, save that metal for the future!!
The cam is a good idea. Also a Prus or similar head.
BUT the first requirement is having your ignition in tip top condition. A stock T ignition with properly tuned coils. A CENTERED front timing cover and of course a timer in first class condition.
There are other things but please make sure your ignition is good!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

What Les said. No reason to bore the block .020" because that is not enough increase to make any difference.

The 280 cam is good, I hear the new Stipe 290 is better. Either way an aluminum high compression cylinder head gives the single best improvement of anything that you can do to a T.

With the higher lift camshaft you must carefully check valve clearance to the cylinder head. You don't want a bunch of broken valves like I had when I installed my first Z head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

At .060 over, you would gain 5.6 cubic inches over stock with a very slight compression increase. I have no idea what a 280 cam would do for it, but typically, cams that are designed to make more horsepower usually have the gain at the higher RPM band. There is usually a small price to pay at the lower end of the RPM band. There are computer programs that will provide you with a pretty accurate estimate of what you will gain or lose. Personally, I think that your cubic inch gain over .040 would be so small that I would forgeddaboutit. If you are determined to try to increase power, I'd go for the cam alone unless I was also going to install higher-compression pistons. Then there is the matter of that ancient crankshaft...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

go with a .300 lift Montana 500 cam that is advanced 3.5 degrees and leave the bore alone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Better carburetor and breathing. Besides the cam and maybe high compression pistons, larger intake valves, larger volume intake manifold plus better carb.
Now that you got it going faster better think about better brakes! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

First install a Prus 8 to 1 head. It will make a huge difference. I run them on two of my Model Ts. Runabout has 280 Snipe Cam, balanced crank and larger intake. The touring has stock cam and stock crank and intake. Both cars run about the same. The Runabout go 54 MPH top speed and the Touring 52MPH measured with GPS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Harold, What kind of power are you wanting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

I've got a fordor sadan. Need more on hills.the motor runs perfect .just installed a new scat crank and new aluminum cam gear and crank gear.its just to slow on hills

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Can you say "Small Block Chevy" ?

(putting on flame suit now) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Ruckstell (I assume you already have this). Chaffin high volume intake manifold and perhaps their dual exhaust manifold. Stromberg OF carb works really nice. Fordson tractor intake valves (or similar) (you will then want one of my copper shim head gaskets to provide suitable clearance).

OR
I had a Fordor with a Roof 8 valve overhead. It had all the power that the brakes were good for. It had a Ruckstell and 4-1 gears. Stock T crank with no problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Finished a Fordor two years ago, put a 280 cam, high compression domed pistons, 10 tooth pinion and Ron Patterson rebuilt coils with Anderson timer. The transmission was balanced by Ford-N-More in Spokane. This car easily cruises 40-45 and does hills as good as any near stock T. Any thing that climbs hills better would likely be a pretty modified T, like an overhead settup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

So you want more power. What is more power in your way of thinking, more speed or more pulling power.
You provided an answer to Stevenís great question.
I owned a 1924 Fordor and it like yours never made the kind of power that you are wanting. This was about the time of the Stipe cam introduction and I installed a 250 cam into a very fresh rebuilt engine. I was shocked at the improvement, much better but still just lack a bit of the pulling power I needed in the hills. My next improvement was to add a Z head and that gave me just what I was wanting.
Both the cam and the high compression head along with a good set of coils and timer will get you more horse power and torque.
You didnít say what cam or head your are running, Speed cost money and all of the crap you can buy will all add to performance but the best $880.00 or so for a high compression head and a good cam will give you the most bang for your bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Hi Harold,

You want a Ruckstell rear axle.

A very good friend has a Fordor sedan and was looking for a bit more pep on the many hills here in New Hampshire.

He tried a high compression head for a year or two and while it did offer some benefit, it was not the answer.

He installed a Ruckstell and stated that it was like a whole different car! Hill climbing was now not a problem. He has added Rocky Mountain brakes and removed the high compression head. He is Very Happy with the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration