OT - floor foot heaters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - floor foot heaters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 02:02 am:

How well do the buggy foot warmers work? Do they keep just the feet warm or does the heat radiate into the car, too?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/155572968/antique-foot-warmer-for-a-sleigh-model-t? ref=market

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Inasmuch as it's just a fabric covered brick, I doubt it'd radiate much into the car. Of course a lot would depend on how hot you got the brick, vs. how cold it is in the car too. But my guess is it's just a modicum of heat for feet at best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Put a few bricks on the wood stove. Let heat to desired temp. Take said hot bricks and place on floor of T. Plan driving time acording to heat loss from bricks and air temp outside T
Carful not to set floor on fire or melt soles of shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Our 14 has front and rear seat heaters that are carpet covered and burn charcoal briquetts. I have never used them as if your T has engine pans and some sort of opening in the dash they are not needed! Ever run a tractor with a Heat Houser? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:25 am:

My wife loves ours. Does not do much for the whole car, but she uses a lap robe over the foot warmer and it keeps her warm. We only use it for the touring as it is usually too much for the fordor unless the temp is very cold.
Once she kept her foot on the metal part at the side and it melted the heel of her shoe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:26 am:

A gallon jug full of warm antifreeze helps take the chill off. With 2 jugs you can stop and fill the empty one from the radiator and pour the one that has cooled off back in.
"Just Sayin'"
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:10 am:

You don't put hot bricks in them.

To add to Kenneth Delong's post, you burn a large charcoal brick (singular) made specially for the heater (a "Clarke Carbon Brick").

Those Clarke heaters are so common in Minnesota they really aren't worth much. Sometimes, you find them in unused/NOS condition with an original unburned charcoal brick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cathie Schoer on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Hi, new to the group as I am looking for the bricks or suggestions of what to do for the Clark Foot Warmer 7D. Could I use a fire brick cut to size? Would be interested in buying 3 bricks if anyone has any. Thanks a bunch.
Cold in Montana today!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

A Clark Carbon Brick is not a firebrick (masonry). It a large coal or charcoal brick that burns in the heater. It is fuel.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/12-CLARK-CARBON-BRICKS-FUEL-BLOCKS-FOR-AUTO-SLEIGH-CARRIA GE-HEATERS-SAD-IRONS-/131597548426

https://www.viewbug.com/photo/60183519

You can probably substitute a few Kingsford briquettes but, just like a Clarke Carbon Brick, you would need to start them outside of the heater and let them turn white/gray before putting them in the drawer.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on December 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cathie Schoer on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Thanks for the info. I checked the article and those bricks are sold on ebay. UGH!! I did put a watch on ebay for them. I appreciate the information on the fire brick...I didn't know that. I love the picture you included with the shoe form. I will keep my eyes pealed for the clark bricks. Thanks again so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

I would much rather heat a brick in the oven, then put it in the foot warmer (use tongs!), than have burning charcoal in there - I don't want my car smelling like a barbeque grille! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Not to mention the fact that the charcoal brick also belches carbon monoxide inside the car. Not a problem if you're driving an open car. Pre-heated fire bricks do not pose a carbon monoxide problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Nothing better then driving your car with the smell of burning toe jam in the air :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

I like Richard's idea. Whenever I get cold at night, I also reach for a couple of jugs. Sometimes it work. Sometimes it don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

If you can find soap stone, holds heat much better than fire brick. Charcoal ok in a open car or buggy. KGB

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration