ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ADJUSTABLE PUSH RODS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:32 am:

What are the best Push Rods, The 2 wrenches, or the 3 wrenches to adjust ??? I am a little afraid that the 2 wrench type are turning by them self overtime
Thanks for your answer
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 05:18 am:

Stock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I've used the type with the nut numerous times and have not had any problems. The only problem is getting them adjusted the first time. The only difference I've found with the no-nut adjustables is the cost. For a few dollars less, I can use 3 wrenches. I have used the no-nut type on my early V-8s and they work OK. I believe the thread on the bolt and the one in the push rod are like one-thread-off as in 28 threads on the bolt and 29 threads on the push rod to give it an interference fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Self locking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:05 am:

You don't use three wrenches, set the locking pair to jam and make your adjustment - while the engine is running. It takes practice to acquire the skill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I like the non adjustable tappets better. Easy to adjust by grinding them to length and then you are done. No worries about the adjusters snapping off or backing off.

See the December 1 post here:
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=599638&post=900257#POST900257

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:39 am:

I've dealt with adjustable tappets only in Packards. Don't think I'd want them in my T. (Not original ; - ).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

What type equipment is necessary to grind original style lifters? I've done two T engines but used adjustable lifters in both. One has the two wrench style and I'm not sure, but I think I used the three wrench style on the fist one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Royce has a cool old shop-type valve grinder setup . . . I don't think he meant to grind the lifter, usually you'd grind the valve stem to obtain the proper clearance. Of course you could grind the lifter if the engine were entirely dis-assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Should have added, if the lifter faces are "cupped" with wear, they will have to be re-faced, otherwise you can't accurately measure the gap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration