Old Photo - Vintage Road Rally, Whittier California, 1912

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Vintage Road Rally, Whittier California, 1912
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:42 am:

Nice pic Jay! Wow, with all that heavy clothing..i.e. coats, hats, gloves..these folks must be close to heat stroke! Or definitely in need of a shower by the end of the day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Says July. I would have thought it would be winter! However, sometimes in California it is still cool until July but not that cold! Usually gets warm and stays warm after July 4 until about October. That looks like a major traffic jam.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:57 am:

LIghtweight linen dusters.

Also - folks covered up to avoid sunburn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:03 am:

They must have stopped for ice cream! :-)

One intersection in the whole town and they create a traffic jam!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:24 am:

I'm guessing here, but I'm going to say that's the intersection of Greenleaf and Hadley Streets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:03 am:

Mike,
You're pretty close. The Hotel Greenleaf in the background was at the corner of Greenleaf and Bailey, which makes the foreground Philadelphia St. Unfortunately everything in the area has changed so much it is difficult to tell if any of those old buildings have been remodeled or are completely gone. The various earthquakes we've had since 1912 probably haven't helped any, either.

Greenleaf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Velarde on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:14 am:

I googled it out... This photo has some interest of mine. The flag raises some suspicion. This looks like a possible parade. Why the "gents" are wearing long coats and the "madam" are in hats. History doesn't really suggest what was happening other than a proper president was coming to leadership...I want to say a heros welcome for a smaller community...One of theirs was coming back for some reason. Not knowing everything... I would like to think of this as a heros welcome. Too cool....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:31 am:

July = Independence Day. By present day standards, people wore lots of clothes even in hot weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Why are some of the cars right hand drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Most of those cars look to be pricey rigs. Must be a pretty exclusive tour club. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Looks like the start of the SoCal HCCA's Holiday Motor Excursion, which, by the way, is next Saturday! Time to choose a car to bring and make sure it is ready to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

frt center rambler, roadster behind it 14 overland mod 79, left frt 13 mod 69 overland, next back 09-10 ford tourist. maybe some more overlands, come on help me out here. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

oops cant be a 14 but it sure looks like one. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:39 am:

Brian,

I know what you mean about the quakes. I was at work that memorable morning on October 1st, 1987.

I was working at the now-gone Northrop B-2 Division in Pico-Rivera. About five miles from the epicenter. That facility was a classified location and the building had no windows except in areas like the cafeteria and the Employment Office (remember those?).

The lights went out, and it seemed like a century before the emergency lights went on. That was the day I really believed I was going to die.

Later on in the month, my then girlfriend, now wife, went up to Uptown Whittier. The damage was unbelievable. Little did we know, the Northridge quake was just a few years away and would make the Whittier quake look like a Jello Jiggler.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration