Old Photo - Miles From Nowhere Speedster Mishap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Miles From Nowhere Speedster Mishap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Only 2 posts close to the road for miles and they fond one. Wonder what the posts are there for? Dont see ditch or water. No cattle grates.
I bet Burger can tell us about poles out further.
Thanks Jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Maybe he lost his brakes and intentionally steered for the post to stop! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson, Sudbury MA on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Texting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:28 am:

I think i would have rode it out. What is he going to hit? I think it was " HEY YALL WATCH THIS"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I was thinking the pillars were a possible state line marker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:39 am:

I think you're right Jay. State line, county line or something similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Maybe he was wanted in that other state and couldn't get stopped fast enough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:53 am:

I think there is no mishap. He rolled the wheel up on the state line marker for the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I think if one looks at the lay of the land it might be headers for a culvert?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Yep, culvert guards. I don't know why they have posts on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:34 am:

It does look intentional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Maybe he pulled around to pass the other car and lost control. Or the drag link came off? Or maybe he was looking back to see what the other driver thought of him and his car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Probably an intentional pose- I don't see any real damage. Maybe something was loose and rattling (I know, hard to believe on a "T"...) and the drive took advantage of a handy ramp to take a gander under the jalopy. They probably took the photograph as well. Not something you might do now with your Ford, but back when this picture was most likely taken, that was a 5.oo car at most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:51 am:

I agree with Kenneth and Steve. Dry wash. Heed the old saying, "Don't turn out for any bridges." I bet it happened in the dark. Lack of fenders doth not a speedster make ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:51 am:

In the winter when the snow is deep the grader driver needs something to see before the sudden stop!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Hey Dallas, Years ago I ran across an article on "the remotest tree". It was something north of a thousand miles from the nearest living tree. It was supposedly hit and killed by a French Army Truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Edit on the above - The tree was 250 miles from the next tree, and was hit by a drunk Libyan truck driver. There is a sculpture of it where it once stood. I decided to recheck my facts. It doesn't change much though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

I also agree with Bud and Steve. It's for a drainage ditch, "Damm kids when will they learn to slow down", you don't need to be flying around at twenty miles per hour on these road anyway, servers them right.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Sounds like the tree was in the wrong place? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Needed to change a flat tire.

I did something like that once when I didn't have a jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

I don't think it is a mishap. The wheel is sitting atop the angled end
like a ramp. I have used similar tactics for repair work on road trips.

The poles to the right are typical phone, but it is odd that the circuits
are not symmetrically distributed on the crossarm. A railroad line runs
along the road in the distance, where the road turns to the right.

What I find cool to see is the farmer line running along along the left
side. Our modern paradigm of phone service is universal and single
network, but for the first 30 years since phones were invented, they
were more like walkie-talkies and run between two houses, and built
by the individuals, not "the phone company". In very rural areas, these
home built lines persisted into the 1960's. A true Model T era phenomenon
that few people know about today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Me thinks he had a flat tire and no jack. necessity is the mother of invention.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:26 am:

Another great Model T photo Jay!

I have to say however, that it is unfortunate that the railroad is so far away in this otherwise great photograph. Because while it is quite fortunate that it clearly shows that the "farmer line" runs along the left side, and also interesting to note that "the circuits are not symmetrically distributed on the crossarm" on that pole line, but as a fourth generation railroader, I wish the photo could also show the railroad track up close. That way, we could see if the rail was spiked directly to the cross ties, whether the ties are creosoted or not, and whether or not they actually used tie plates on what seems to be a railroad mainline.

Oh well, we'll just have to be satisfied with looking at the two Model T's in this photo I guess,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Seriously,....obviously, I was just jerk'n Burgers chain a bit Jay. It really IS a neat old Model T Photo,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Burger,....just hav'n a bit of fun with you! Have not met you yet (maybe some day at a swap meet as we're both in the same state) but I think I know you well enough from this forum to know that your sense of humor might allow me to "give ya' the business" a bit,........(:^) .....harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:05 am:

Very interesting comment about the farmer line Burger.
I heard from my dad and later from my dad's cousin that there had been a regular phone line coming down the road to our farm early on, but that the company had gone out of business because of an ice storm that had pulled the lines down. Being creative the two cousins that lived about 3/4 of a mile apart made their own phone company using the fence posts along the road and the barbed wire to connect the two crank up wall phones.
They said it worked, unless uncle Hubert who lived in between them (He was the one who had the 1932 International truck I wrote about last year.) was working on the fence and would ground out the wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:12 am:

The posts may be flood markers. I know in Arizona they have these tall posts marked every foot so when the rain showers hit and the road floods, you know how deep it is if you want to try to pass. Maybe those posts mark the culvert and, if flooded, keep the vehicles from going over the sides? Give you something to "aim" between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 08:42 am:

That could very well be what they are! Good eye Gary!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Flood posts as stated above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Schwend ~

There is just as much science to RR tech as there was to pole line tech.
I totally get it ! Wish we could just walk into these scenes for a little
"lookabout". Maybe put a few things in our pockets and bring them
back with us ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Yup! (like my collection of cross tie date nails, huh?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

As I have spent time studying that photo, I'll come down in the camp of those who think the location of the T is intentional. I'm making the assumption that the far side of the wall has a slope or ramp similar to the side that we can see. There is no obvious damage to the T. The why is another question altogether.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Maybe needs to "get out and get under" but doesn't carry a jack, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

I agree with Royce ! Drove up the incline for a trick shot. I don't see any rad. damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I agree with Royce ! Drove up the incline for a trick shot. I don't see any rad. damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I'll go with the "intentional" camp. Thing is, I don't see any practicality to the lift - there's really nothing you can do under a T that requires it to be lifted, given 11" of road clearance. I don't see how driving up that ramp would make it possible to change a tire if you didn't have a jack - all four wheels are still on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Doesn't everybody change their oil with one wheel on the curb out in front of the house ?

I always felt sorry for the folks who lived on a dirt road. No curb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 03:03 am:

Amazing how many railroad folks there are in this forum! But where does the line go behind the trees--I don't see it coming out, and what's that white area on the hillside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

The railroad track enters a cut in the hill on the right in the picture, behind the trees, which are a lot closer to the camera. The white area is the top of the cut slope on the far side of the track.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration